Second Stage Children

~Kimiko’s POV~

One minute we were in a glowing room, the next minute we fell through a hole that led us to another place. Sangoku and the others from Raimon appeared behind.

“Welcome to El Dorado.” Said a voice. We looked back to see the coach of Perfect Cascade and another man. They explained that we are 200 years in the future and that the other man was the head of El Dorado, Chairman Toudou. What’s even more shocking is that they also showed us that they gave us back soccer. They asked us to cooperate with them. Of course we protested at first but then they said that we’ll be fighting the SSC who had Endou with them. We still protested but then they asked, “Do you know why we tried to eliminate soccer?”

We were silent until Fei spoke up. “It’s because you were trying to eliminate the SSC who were created through the power of soccer.”

“Exactly. In doing so, we saved the world.” Said Toudou. They then explained about how the SSC have been trying to destroy the world or something like that. They also explained who or what the SSC are. Kids with supernatural powers. Telepathy, telekinesis and such. And I had that power. Gouenji wasn't lying. I really am an SSC. They explained more about how an organization called Feida appeared and declared war against El Dorado. Feida… that sounds familiar. They also explained how Feida wanted to make the world filled with only the SSC, not normal humans.

“It’s an act of revenge against those who fear and rejects them.” Said Toudou. More questions flooded into my mind. I shook my head and forced myself to listen deeper into the explanation. They said something about a tournament called Ragnarok. Soccer is going to determine whether this world will be ruled by humans… or the SSC.

Toudou said that their time is also running out. The SSC holds potential abilities that no other human possesses but there was a down side to it as well. Their lifespan is shorten. Humans don’t have those abilities but they are able to live up to 100 years old. But a majority of the SSC died before they could even reach to 20. Meaning they can’t be adults and they would die through a natural death at any time at all. They want to control the world before they die. I kept silent the entire time. I had a ton of questions but I know for sure they couldn’t answer me. At least, I didn’t think so.

“Let’s do it.” Said Tenma. “Our goal is to protect soccer right? And the SSC are created from soccer’s power. If they destroy the world, we won’t have protected soccer. So we should defeat the SSC to prevent anything bad from happening in the timeline.

“Tenma is right. We’ll accept their challenge.” Said Shindou. Everyone nodded in agreement. I felt Toudou staring at me and I glared in return. He looked away and back at the team.

“So, what kind of tournament is it?” asked Sangoku.

“Each side will be represented by 3 teams. Whichever side wins 2 out of 3 matches will win.” Said Toudou. “Let me introduce you to your other members. I believe you already met.” Apparently, Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Ray appeared. Great. Just great. We’re gonna have to team up with them now. Gouenji and Kidou appeared and they said it was the only way to win. Those two and that Sakamaki will be the coaches for our matches? Alright then, if we have no choice.

Gouenji coaches El Dorado 3 that is led by Matsukaze Tenma. Sakamaki is going to coach team 2 that’s lead by Shindou Takuto, despite having Alpha, Beta and Gamma on his team. And Kidou is going to coach team 3 with Tsurugi Kyousuke as the captain. I tried not to laugh and Tsurugi’s face when he was chosen to be captain. The shock was pretty funny, but now isn’t the time for jokes. This tournament has the faith of the planet resting on its shoulders.

Training didn’t go so well for any of the teams. I mean, sure we grown stronger each day but the team isn’t cooperating well. I laid down on my bed. We kinda lived separately and one room is for one team. I sighed and looked up at the ceiling. Midori looked at me expectantly.

“What?” I asked her.

“It’s just, you seemed so stressed out lately. What’s up with that?” she asked.

“Nothing.” I said turning away. “Just wondering about the tournament is all.”

“You mean about the team?” she whispered so the others can’t hear.

“Not only that.” I sighed again. She asked me more questions but I waved it off. “Midori-chan. Let’s just go to sleep.” She pouted but head to bed anyway. The girls and the boys are in one room but in different dorms, if that makes sense. The room is separated by a wall with a door on it so we can go to and fro from each room.

Once I made sure everyone’s asleep, I snuck out and into the training room. I started kicking the ball around a bit until someone blocked my shot.

“Mind if I join in?” he asked.

“Nope. Though what are you doing up at this late hour Kyousuke?” I asked back.

He just shrugged while playing around with the ball. “Had a hard time sleeping. I’ve been thinking about what I would do as captain. You?” he passed the ball.

“Just trying to get my mind straight.” I explained. “Ever since Toudou explained about the SSC I’ve been thinking about…me. I’m an SSC. Shuuya said so remember? And then Toudou said that the SSC have a short lifespan, so doesn’t that mean that I’m…” I dropped the ball and it bounced to the sidelines. I clenched my fist and shut my eyes tight. I couldn’t bring myself to finish that sentence, I didn’t want to die.

I felt an arm grabbing me and I open my eyes out of shock. I was caught off guard instantly. Tsurugi’s face was only inches from mine. I swear our noses would touch if he gets any closer. I still had a shock look while he stared dead into my eyes. I used my powers to read his mind and I heard what he wanted to say.

‘It’s not going to come to that. You heard what Toudou said right? He wouldn’t kill them which would mean he wouldn’t let them die naturally either. I don’t know for sure but maybe he’s making a cure of some sort. Don’t worry. Everything’s going to be fine.’

I took a deep breath and nodded. He smiled, “Good, because I wouldn’t dare to repeat that out loud.”

I smiled back but then realized something else. “Um… Kyousuke… could you um… step away a bit?” he blinked before jumping a yard away. Both our faces sort of heat up but we laughed it off. This is the good thing about us. I had a crush on my best friend. Simple as that, or maybe not so simple. We walked back to our dorm quietly, making sure we don’t wake anyone up.

The next morning, we felt the building shake. We went outside just in time before the whole building crumbled. The leader of Feida, SARU told us that the building will be used as parts to create the stadium, and so Feida used their powers to create a stadium. Then, as they walked away, Fei blacked out. We took him inside, to our quarters and waited for him to wake up. Once he did, we let Kinako stayed with him and soon we went to the team meeting.

“If we lack the opponent’s data, then we will have to use this strategy to achieve victory.” Kidou finished.

“Hai!” we said.

“Rest up for tomorrow.” Kidou finished. As everyone leave, I noticed Tsurugi still in his seat. Probably thinking about why Kidou choose him to be captain. I think Kidou noticed but he didn’t say a word, so I walked over to him. He didn’t seem to notice until I placed my hand on his shoulder. He jumped a bit but then regains his posture.

I laughed a bit. “And just yesterday, you were the one telling me not to worry.” He blinked then smiled. We walked out while talking about the other teams. I sure hope they were doing well, because from what I heard, we were the one cooperating the most. Shindou’s team was falling apart while Tenma’s team was a bit off book.