8. From rags to riches

Keigo opened the luxurious lilac door, revealing an enormous bedroom. On the opposite side of where we stood were some large, floor-to-ceiling windows and a glass door leading to a mid-size balcony. Close to the corner of the room was a tempting king-size bed with a tall bedframe of black ebony. Ah, now I felt sleepy. Beside the bed was a door made out of the same material as the bedframe with golden accents, probably leading to a bathroom or closet. Another door, identical to the first one, was placed a little further away from the bed, with a hatch on the wall beside it. Other than and a few other pieces of furniture, the room was quite plain.

"I know it looks quite empty right now, but that just means you can let your creativity flow and decorate it however you want!", Keigo explained, and I nodded.

"Well, I have to go soon, so I'll make it quick.", he continued.

Keigo stuck his hand in one of his pockets and took out two keys, identical to the ones he used to open the gates and the front door. He held them out for me, and I took them. One was a big, heavy, black metal key, while the other was just regular and polished.

"The black one is for the gates, and the other one is for the front door. There are clothes in the closet. I'll come by from time to time to check up on you, and as soon as I can, I'll come and explain the situation more in detail. Also, I left a black card on the nightstand, you don't have to worry about the money running out.", he said in a calm tone.

I guess he was really busy from being the number three hero. Despite that, he had gone out of his way to help me. It was truly heroic, and for that, I was really grateful.

"Alright, thank you.", I said with a smile, looking down at the keys.

"Well, I'll be off now then.", he sighed and headed towards the balcony door before hesitating and stopping. He stood there a few seconds before speaking up.

"Also, Y/n, sorry, but could I ask you for a favor?", he sighed out, looking down at the floor.

Hm? A favor? What could want from me? Of course, I would gladly do my hero a favor. It couldn't be something too difficult either, right?

"Yeah, what do you need?", I asked curiously.

He sighed.

"Could you please keep this a secret? The fact that I'm your guardian, I mean.", he asked.

I blinked twice. Only that? It was that simple?

"Of course, why wouldn't I?", I responded immediately. I was already planning on doing that anyways.

Keigo turned around and looked at me, his eyes a little wide.

"I mean, it would bring you quite the fame?", he said, seemingly confused at my answer.

"I don't like the attention, besides, you said yourself that you don't either. Revealing it would only put you in a difficult position.", I stated, being met by a warm smile from the winged hero in front of me.

"Thank you.", was what he said, before opening the glass door and flying up towards the pitch-black sky from the balcony.

A sudden wave of sleepiness washed over me, and I walked over to the truly tempting bed and collapsed on it, drifting off to dreamland as soon as I shut my eyes.

*********************************************************************

---Keigo's POV---

As I was flying through the skies, I was thinking about the girl that I had gotten so strangely attached to in just a few days. Why did I do so much for her? I could've just found her a good orphanage to take care of her. Why did I go to such lengths? It had been a risky decision, and I knew that. It would be really difficult to keep this up without the HSPC noticing. What would they do if they found out? It was risky for Y/n as well. So why did I do it? Perhaps it was because she reminded me of myself when I was a child that I had offered to help her in the first place. But that admiration that she held in her eyes was unlike any other I had seen, and I couldn't bear to see it fade. I think, that's what drove me to do it.