12. Exam gone wrong

The hothead blasted explosions from his hands and propelled himself forward, along with some other people with quirks useful for this kind of situation.

I should too, I figured. What would I look like if I have wings but don't fly? And so, I spread my wings to a relatively small size, and flew over the rest of the group.

Robots began pouring out from alleyways and attacking the examinees. I decided it was too crowded and flew off to find some lone one-pointers. When I found one, I lowered myself and drop kicked it lightly without using any of my chi, but I still ended up leaving a deep dent on it. I grimaced at how weak they were. The ones at Rabbit's Lair were far more resistant to damage. I punched it a few times more, even lighter, until it broke.

I flew up again, inspecting how the fights were going. No-one seemed to be doing too well, except the hothead that kept dragging all the robots to himself and easily blasting them off, grinning.

'I guess he has a reason to get cocky.'

"Still no match for you."

'Well obviously. He seems like he's enjoying himself though. I'm jealous."

"SIX MINUTES AND TWO SECONDS LEFT!" Mic man shouted.

I shifted my gaze elsewhere and continued my search for lone robots and destroyed a few here and there. I knew the judges were watching, so I had to act like I was tired. Sometimes, I folded my wings, and ran around along with the rest, to create the impression of having some sort of quirk drawback. It was boring having to hold back.

Time was soon up, and I had fifteen points. Wasn't it about time the zero-pointe-

A loud rumble was heard from the other side of the battle center, and many more from the battle center beside ours. I turned my head to be met by the sight of a huge robot head, towering above the buildings. This, I wanted to see. I spread out my wings and began flying towards the robot.

"LESS THAN TWO MINUTES LEFT!"

I was now in the same street as, and facing, the big ass robot, while other examinees came running towards the direction I came from. The blond hothead was still fighting robots nearby though, keeping an eye on the massive piece of metal. He didn't seem too fazed.

Then, something caught my eye. A group of people were stuck under a mountain of debris, trying desperately to break free. One boy succeeded and started sprinting away from the robot. But it would be to no avail, it was obvious that the robot would get to him first.

My heart thumped while watching the scene. It would be okay. I knew that. This was an exam.

But still.

Getting stomped by that would hurt.

Like hell.

I could save them from that.

But it would give me points.

But still, it said in the papers that they usually handed out ten to twenty points for a heroic action, and I do still need more points to pass.

However, they could give me more.

I wanted to destroy that robot though.

It's risky.

The robot was almost there.

...

"So, what if it's risky? Has that ever stopped you?"

Fuck it.

I expanded my wings to a length I very rarely used and plunged down towards the running boy. I swiftly picked him up and held him tightly, making sure he wouldn't fall, nor make contact with my wings. I turned my body vertically and heated up my wings to a dangerously hot temperature of a few thousand degrees (Celsius).