Chapter 1 - Casual Mornings and a Casual Friendship

In Catnap's Point of View:

The sun was peeking upon our windows, and the light hit my sunken eyes. At first, I got quite annoyed at the light. Or maybe it was the fact that some of my friends were snoring. I mean, who wouldn't get irritated? After getting such a good sleep, too...

Well, I had no choice but to get out of our red, comfy couch since the others had started to also open their eyes. When I say that, I really mean him. Dogday was beside me, and the others were sleeping in comfortable sleeping bags.

Dogday yawned and leaned on the back of the couch, "Oh, good morning, Catnap," He said and smiled. I swear, he is the only one that can immediately put me in a good mood for the rest of the day.

No- I mean, of course all of the critters are my friends. But, there is something quite special about him. I don't know what, but it's super special. I don't really talk to anyone that much except for him, really.

"Good morning, Dogday," I replied, smiling. My smile was always somehow bigger than usual whenever I talk to him, I should not be surprised though. He is my best friend, of course!

"Has the sun always shined this brightly?" He asked me foolishly. That's what I always loved about him. So clueless and foolish, he always makes it look so adorable.

I giggled, "I don't think so..." I stepped down the couch and tip-toed over my other tired friends. I peeked closer and then the curtains in the window flew open by a soft breeze, "I think it's because the sun had just started to gleam."

I went back to Dogday who was sitting on the couch facing me. The floorboards creaked and the others unconciously moved. He watched and made sure that the others didn't flinch or twitch in their sleep and was instead fast asleep in their sleeping bags.

I slowly and carefully sat down on the chair beside Dogday as he was resting his head.

"So," He asked me, "when are we going to wake them up?"

"When their dreams end," I softened my gaze at him, I always did, "We will know when, so don't worry. How about we prepare breakfast, and wake the others when it is ready?"

Dogday's tail wagged, "Ooh, yes!" He exclaimed, "But this time, since i'm awake with you, I choose what we eat now! I'm getting tired of tuna every single day." He teased me.

"Well, make it good!" I said jokingly, "You know not all of us eat bone and kibble."

I cautiously followed Dogday to the kitchen step by step. Very small, quiet steps.

Dogday skipped happily as soon as our paws were in-front of the polished checkered floors. I followed, running joyfully. I watched him sniff the fridge and open it to reveal such a variety of food. Surprisingly, he has never seen what was in the fridge before. There was fruits, vegetables, fried chicken, pancakes, all you can think of! And of course, tuna. My favorite, yum.

Dogday looked at the food, tail still wagging. He pointed his finger to each and every one of them, as if he could suddenly know what they tasted like. I snickered as he started to chant "eenie-meenie-minee-mo." Then I realized that my tail was pointing upward. I pushed it down and went to turn on the stove.

"Jeez, Dogday," I exclaimed and chuckled, "you sure are taking a long time."

Dogday grumbled at me, "Maybe if you would suggest something, it wouldn't be as hard for me to pick something to eat!"

I rolled my eyes, giggled, and approached that silly best friend of mine, "Here," I said as I pulled out a huge piece of steak, "Is this going to satisfy your cravings, or is it too fishy?" I teased again.

Dogday gasped, "Was that a pun?!" He affectionately held my shoulders, "You never say puns!" He laughed, then we laughed together.

"Come on, you!" I tugged him on the shoulder, "Lets cook this!"

We laughed and got ready to cook the steak. He ran quietly to get the cook-book and I prepared everything. It was his first time to cook, ever. I'm surprised that he doesn't know how to cook yet, but I can fix that.
I was never the type to be so excited about cooking-It was a routine. Grabbing tuna from the fridge, turning the stove on, grabbing the materials, and so on... he somehow made me look so forward into this mess. Oh well...

Soon enough-I would say after 15 minutes- Dogday came back with the cook-book wrapped around his hands and he immediately set it on the counter and opened it cheerfully.

"So-o-o," He seemed like he would've exploded with joy, "are you going to teach me how to make it? Are you? Are you?"

"Duh!" I placed my hand on his shoulder, "Trust me, they will love it. Now, go to... that page." I pointed to a section on the Table of Contents.

Now we were going to cook the steak, I just hope that it doesn't turn out a mess.