Chapter 16 - Unspoken Confession

Catnap froze at this. He shook his head violently. He did not want to tell Bobby Bearhug and Bubba Bubbaphant what was going on in his head.
His head turned down slowly, and his whole body shook a little.

“Come on, you can tell us. It's okay. We will keep it a secret if we have to,” Bobby Bearhug said.

Catnap hesitated.

“If you would rather to keep it to yourself, we will respect that,” Bubba Bubbaphant smiled, “I just wanted you to know.“

Catnap gave a forced giggle, “Thanks, maybe I could just tell you two a little.“

Dogday invited me to the aquarium yesterday by a letter…” Catnap started to gesture on what had happened.

Hehe, I know, thought Bobby Bearhug.

“Ahem, well, of course, as his— best friend, I accepted. The next day, we had so much fun! The entrance was amazing. There was this tunnel made out of glass, and we could both see the sharks pass through. Dogday looked so cute and admirable watching them. Then, as we continued, there was this pink jellyfish, a really colorful school of fish, he even called one 'Nemo!' I bursted out laughing! Oh, and did I forget to mention the dolphin show? The dolphin's name was Splashy. I think that was Dogday's favorite exhibit.
And then…”

Catnap paused. His happy face suddenly turned to a worried expression, “Did I say too much?“ He meant.

“Keep going, it's fine, ” Bobby Bearhug nodded, and leaned in to Bubba Bubbaphant. “Bubba, are you seeing this? He looks so cute, not even realizing he's sneaking Dogday in what he's talking about,” she whispered.

And then we arrived at the final exhibit,” Catnap began, “That was when the thought finally took over me. Well, I…
I wanted to thank Dogday for, not only the aquarium, but for the things he had done for me ever since we got here.
So I…
I… thanked him, of course. But, Dogday's reaction… I don't think he, er, liked it,” Catnap looked so sad, he would've been called a frowning critter.

“Liked what, exactly?“ Bubba Bubbaphant asked.

Catnap waved his hands ferociously, “The 'thank-you-for-everything-you-had-done-for-me-for-these-past-three-days!'”

And, now, I'm not sure if he forgives me. A while ago, in Sunshine Café, he looked mad as he went to me.“

Catnap's eyes widened; he should've not said any of this. This was far from “a little.“

“Catnap, I'm sure Dogday would never feel that way about you. He had never gotten mad at you, ever,” Bobby Bearhug stood up.

Catnap didn't answer.

“Catnap, do you honestly consider him as your best-friend?“ Bubba Bubbaphant scratched his head. “Because—”

They can't find out, Catnap thought, and stood up with Bobby Bearhug. He then pushed both Bobby Bearhug and Bubba Bubbaphant through the bushes and back to the forest.

See you next time, we'll talk later. Bye!“ He meant by shooing them with his hand.

“Okay, okay!“ Bobby Bearhug tried to hold her laugh back.

They then left Catnap behind in the forest, walking around and following the path. Bobby Bearhug decided to help Bubba Bubbaphant in taking pictures of things to analyze.

Catnap turned around, sat down again on the grass, and wiped only his few tears away from his eyes.

Dogday…” he muttered to himself, “if I ever told you that I have begun to love you…”

Catnap took a long pause. He looked up at the sun, and he couldn't help but get reminded of Dogday. He really didn't want to lose him.

“…would I need to apologize, for saying such an impossible thing?“

Catnap leaned back on a tree stump and rested for a while, thinking about the whole situation.

“Maybe it was the fact I offered to be his partner for the meteor shower, and he actually didn't want to?“ Dogday said, worrying his head off.

Dogday, and the rest of his friends (who were present at the time): Craftycorn, Hoppy Hopscotch, Kickinchicken, and PickyPiggy, were in his cabin. Troubled Dogday was discussing with them about Catnap's strange behaviour towards him.

He talked about this and that, not looking like he would ever stop. His other friends were sitting on his bed, and on the chair just by the long desk infront of it, but Hoppy Hopscotch stood up. They all had concerned looks as Dogday paced back and forth on the ground.

“O-Or—” Dogday was stressing out, “or maybe—”

“Dogday, chill,” Kickinchicken said.

“How am I supposed to stay calm?! Catnap is acting like he doesn't even know me!“

“I was just saying…”

Dogday stopped pacing and walked to them. He sat down on the bed with the others.

“Dogday, maybe you should talk to Catnap,” Craftycorn began.

“I know… but, would he ever listen?“

“He might.“

“I just don't get it,” Dogday's voice cracked, “I don't understand. I don't understand anything that's happening. Whenever Catnap's upset, he would usually talk about it with me. What is making him so avoidant now?“

This calls for a plan…” PickyPiggy said under her breath. Everyone barely heard it.

Dogday groaned, “If you guys don't mind, I want to be alone.“

“Not at all,” Craftycorn hugged him and smiled. “I hope your best-friend situation ends soon.“

“Thank you,” Dogday smiled back.

“Well, I guess we will go now,” Hoppy Hopscotch helped Craftycorn and Kickinchicken up from the bed, and PickyPiggy stood up and pushed back the chair under the desk.

They all went out from Dogday's cabin. He then laid down on the bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering what to do.

Craftycorn, Kickinchicken, PickyPiggy, and Hoppy Hopscotch walked out of the cabin, then walked to the shore.

“Guys,” PickyPiggy broke the silence, “I have an idea. We need a plan.“

“A plan? For what?“ Hoppy Hopscotch asked.

“As you all were talking a few moments ago, I have been trying to come up with a solution,” PickyPiggy stopped walking. “There is this new fancy restaurant called 'SeaShell's Cuisine and Paradise.' I visited it a while ago, and it looks absolutely divine!“

“So, what are you saying?“ Craftycorn's mouth turned into a smirk.

“I'm saying, we should get Dogday and Catnap to bond together. We will reserve a seat there just for the both of them.“

“Seems like a nice idea,” Kickinchicken said, “Call Bobby Bearhug and Bubba Bubbaphant. We will discuss about it in our cabin, PickyPiggy!“

“Alright, then! Get ready, everyone. We're having a meeting.“