Chapter 19

"I can't believe you were going through all of that"

"Well, as long as you're fine now"

Galene smiled, classes had ended and all of her friends who gathered inside the club room were either crying or looking at her with shocked expressions. She looked at Quincey who was now comforting the crying Serenity while Malkiel was looking at her with a worried expression.

She had finally told them everything that was happening with her right now. About her whole family situation and about the bruises and the wounds.

"Still, how can you spend the night at Drystan's?"

"Yeah, we haven't even tried having an overnight there yet"

"Not to mention how the two of them were on a cold war before this"

Galene's face was now bright red. She had also filled them in on how she had spent the night at Drystan's house out of fear. It was already too late when she realized that she shouldn't have told them about that specific detail.

Now all of their friends were teasing them, she was feeling more embarrassed. She sent a glare towards Quincey who was laughing maniacally.

"But Galene, about your parents"

Galene's attention went back to Serenity who was now eyeing her with worry.

"Ahh sorry Serenity, I should've told you back then"

Serenity shook her head at Galene and went to sit beside her enveloping her into a hug.

"It's alright, it was hard for you to do so."

Galene held her arm and let out a deep sigh. Serenity cried her eyes out when she had told them earlier. How her parents who were both alcoholics beat them up when they were kids. How her brother worked hard to give her and their younger brother another chance to live life.

Galene had been living all by herself since grade school, right when she and Quincey had met Serenity. She was hiding the reality about her family ever since she was that young. Whenever her parents find her new apartment and beat her up, she would run to Quincey's house and contact Aslan.

"By the way what are you going to do now?"

Serenity and Galene both glanced at Quincey who was sitting in front of them, arms crossed in front of her chest.

"Brother Aslan said he'll find me a new apartment soon, until then I was wondering if I could stay at your houses"

"My parents won't mind"

"So would mine, I bet my mom would've love you there"

Galene smiled at Serenity who was seemingly excited at the idea of her staying over at theirs.

"But why not just stay over at Drystan's? You said his mom liked you"

Galene's face turned red, the idea of being in the same house as Drystan was still far too nerve-wracking for her. Memories of what almost happened between the two of them in his room were playing on repeat in her head. She shook her head hard that made Quincey laugh out loud.

Drystan who was beside them coughed out loud.

"I'm right here you know"

"So? Don't you want Galene at your house?"

Quincey teasingly asked him to which Drystan didn't answer. What happened with them that night still played rent-free on his mind. And when he dreamt, he dreamed of continuing where they had left off and that in itself was a very dangerous dream.

"Anyway Galene can stay at ours tonight, let's go back to your apartment together to fetch the things you need"

Drystan was somehow thankful that Serenity had averted the conversation. He didn't know exactly how to respond to Quincey's teasing especially not after what Galene had told him earlier.

His gaze went to Galene who was now happily conversing with both Quincey and Serenity. He was glad that Galene could put her worries to rest for quite some time.

Drystan felt a light tap by his shoulders and saw that Koa was silently motioning for him to come with them. The four guys excused themselves from the girls and stood by the hallway just far enough that the girls wouldn't hear them.

"Are you okay?"

Koa asked Drystan to which the latter let out a sigh. A sign of defeat as he realized that he couldn't exactly hide his expression from his friends.

"I was there when her father had one of his outbursts"

Drystan told them truthfully, the thing is he never forgot about that night. About how Galene shivered underneath his embrace and how the sharp words of her father rang all throughout the walls of her apartment.

"I couldn't imagine Galene having to grow up with that kind of environment"

"Right, she was always smiling and well, laughing. That's why we never even thought of the possibility of abuse"

Kenzo and Malkiel said truthfully and Drystan understood them. Galene didn't looked like the type of person who grew up physically and emotionally abused and yet, the small pieces and traces of her trauma fit perfectly.

How she flinched when El raised his hand at her. How she never liked it when someone was shouting. How she couldn't even explain about her bruises and wounds and how she couldn't feel the pain it brought.

"She must be traumatized"

"She already is"

Drystan replied to Malkiel, and the image of Galene's panic area shot in his memory and the burst of anger he had that night came rushing back.

"So, what's the plan?"

Drystan looked at his friends and smiled as he realized that he wasn't the only one who was worried for Galene's safety.

"For now, she'll be safe as long as she's with Quincey and Serenity"

"She said her brother was looking for another apartment right?"

Drystan nodded at Koa who was seemingly deep in thought.

"I'll try asking the place right next to ours if there's a vacant one, that way she'll be closer with Kenzo and me"

Drystan muttered a thank you to his friends. They then talked about the possibility of having the police involved but Drystan shook his head.

"That depends on Astraea and her brother's plan. For now, we just need to keep her safe."

That was Drystan's silent promise towards Galene. He didn't want to see her like that ever again. He didn't want her to get hurt anymore. He'll protect her by all means necessary.