Preference #8 When You Go Into Labor

When You Go Into Labor

Andy: Andy, the quiet one in the band, wasn't prepared when your water broke. Nor was he quiet. He totally panicked, asking you over and over again if you were okay, if he should carry you, if you needed anything. He was running around, his face all red and his eyes wide. He was more scared then you were. Instead of him coaching you, it ended up being you telling him to breath. Now that you've had your baby, you often look back on it and laugh.

Patrick: When you went into labor, Patrick was perfectly ready. You had planned for when you would have your baby-the doctors induced you-and you had plenty of time to prepare. If anything, Patrick was too calm. Whenever you were having contractions, he would hold your hand and tell you to breathe, sounding totally sure of himself and not at all nervous. But he'd had a child before. He was used to this.

Pete: Like Patrick, pete wasn't nervous about you going into labor. However, he was not prepared. When your water broke you were sleeping, and you woke up in the middle of the night crying out in pain from contractions. Then, you had to wait on pete to throw everything together while breathing through intense pain. He took forever, constantly asking you where your socks were, until you couldn't stand it anymore. You picked up the magazine on the table and chucked it at his head. "Let's go!" You shouted. You were gone minutes later.

Joe: Joe was on tour when you went into labor. You were sitting on the couch, watching your favorite tv show, when you started to feel your contractions. You tried calling Joe, but there was no answer. When your water finally broke, you called your best friend to take you to the hospital, then called Joe again. Still no answer, so you left a voicemail. Your friend came and took you to a hospital, and by the time you got there you were in a lot of pain. But there were complications. The doctors were running around, trying to fix whatever was wrong, and Joe still wasn't there yet. Your friend was, and she was calling him constantly. Finally he answered, and said he was on his way. When he finally got there, he wrapped his arms around your belly. "Daddy's here." He said. "It's okay now." The baby was born without another problem.