Chapter 5

Trigger Warning: Physical abuse, starvation
If these triggers affect you, feel free to skip this chapter. 😀👍
POV: Janus

After hugging me for nearly an eternity, Patton pulls away. I'm still a bit shaky and Patton notices. He begins rubbing my back and soothing me like you would with a child.

"Shhh sh sh sh. It's okay, kiddo," Patton says.

"I just.." my voice trembles in between sobs, "can't seem to do anything right. They all think of me as a slimy, slithery monster who's trying to offer a forbidden fruit."

"I know kiddo, and I know that I'm not exactly helpful with that, and I'm truly, truly sorry."

I respond, "No, no. The others are far worse than you, so don't apologize."

And it was true. Patton never directly engaged in the insulting and simply watched from a distance. He was never enthusiastic about my presence, however, he was never rude or hostile towards me, unlike the others. Virgil has always said that Patton is like a father, yet he reminds me of my mother.

Yes, despite what Thomas thinks, the sides have parents. They're just a different person's sides, but they come to visit sometimes. Where was I? Oh yes, my mother. A kind, loving woman she was. I have vivid memories of playing with her chestnut brown hair and draping it along her shoulders. She used to caress my enormous birth mark shaped like a snake. Did I say it was a tattoo in previous chapters? Oops!

My father on the other hand, was a cold, heartless man. He took pleasure in lying to others, especially my mother. I can't count how many times I'd caught him cheating on her and each time he threatened whippings and starvation, the first time, I didn't believe him. I told my mother, and perhaps she was too kind, because she forgave him! If it were me, I would've left him, just saying. Anyways, I somehow managed to withstand 78 lashings with a belt and not eating for 2 days.

After my mother got pregnant when I was 13, the good times were few and far in between. For starters, when she told my father that she was pregnant, he slapped her across the face and screamed at her, ordering her to get an abortion. My mother obviously refused and from that day forward, everyday was filled with my father yelling, my mother running away in tears and then he would leave to either drink or cheat on her.

In fact, the only good times we had were when he was gone. My mother and I would sit down and discuss the baby, whom we'd found out was a girl. I remember that she was thinking of three names, Janet, Delilah, or Valerie. Valerie was personally my favorite name. My poor, sweet mother. Her time on earth was cut far too short. In fact, even after all these years, I can still remember the exact date.

Monday, March 11, 2002. My mother walked into the living room, where my father and I were, holding her incredibly large stomach.

"I... I think I'm in labor," she said.

"WHAT?!?" My father exclaimed furiously.

He grabs a hold of her neck and slowly lifts her up as I watch in horror.

"I TOLD YOU TO GET AN ABORTION, WOMAN!" He screams.

"I'm sorry," she mouths as she begins to turn blue.

I rush over to them, "Get away from her!"

He lets go of her and she falls to the ground, laying unconscious. I kneeled down and checked her pulse. It was weak, yet viable. I began worrying about my baby sister and realized she might not live. My father refused to drive to the hospital, so I picked my mother up and walked the 5 miles to the hospital. I wondered how I hadn't passed out. The doctors quickly set my mother up in a birthing room. She woke up a few hours later and screamed in pain. She was having the baby. The nurse shooed me out of the room. I waited for awhile and eventually heard faint crying sounds and a few seconds later, it stopped. I ran into the room, but the nurse who had delivered my baby sister was gone and so was my sister. Instead, there was a different nurse standing beside my dying mother. I ran up to her and she grabbed my hand. And all she said were three words before letting her last breath escape and letting the hospital machine stop beeping.

"Valerie.... Valerie Deceitt"

743 words! Yes! I'm so, so, so, so, so, so, so, 10,987,654,321 so's later... so, so, so sorry about not posting FOR PRACTICALLY A MONTH AHHHHHHHH I just didn't have any ideas for this chapter but yeah. Maybe next chapter I'll catch up with Janus and Patton... maybe. I'm slowly losing my motivation to write this story in case you couldn't tell so chapters probably aren't gonna be frequent but it'll be fine... hopefully. Anyways, byeeeeeee! 😀