Chapter 7

POV: Janus

An... image appeared in my head. The most horrifying, terrible image I've ever seen. Virgil, the love of my life, the gloomy cloud in my sea of lies, was screaming in pain with messy eyeshadow, tears, and blood spilling down his face.

"JANUS! JANUS, HELP ME," he screamed, then he repeated in a quieter, more broken voice, "Help me. Please."

He then broke down in the loudest, most heartbreaking cry I've ever heard. I shot up and suddenly I was back in the living room. I had sweating streaming down throughout my whole body. My arms and legs were visibly shaking and it felt incredibly difficult to breathe. Then, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, you alright?" Virgil asked.

"Yeah," the lie came quick, yet Virgil could easily see through me. He just stared at me with a concerned look on his face. I sighed as I began, "It was a dream."

"Bad?" he asked. I nodded slightly.

"Tell me," he said, lightly rubbing my arm with his thumb. I looked down at my lap, fiddling with my fingers, contemplating whether or not I should tell him. I ultimately decided that it would be better if I did.

"You... you died," I said with my voice shaking ever so slightly, not even bothering to look at Virgil, "you were screaming in pain and had blood all over your face, so I think it's safe to assume you died."

There was a moment of silence, so I turned my head to Virgil, whose face looked a bit more worried than it had a few minutes ago. I immediately regretted telling him.

He finally spoke, "It was only a dream." He began pulling me into a hug.

I pulled back a bit, "I won't let this become real. I failed to save my mother, I won't make the same mistake with you."

"Janus, you shouldn't fight this, like I said, it was only a dream. You shouldn't focus on it too much. Do you want me to get your snake plushie and you can snuggle with it?"

I shook my head, instead scooting closer and snuggling with Virgil. He just didn't understand. I needed to protect him from anything, even figments of my own imagination. I would protect him no matter what. However, he seemed like he wanted to end this conversation, and quite frankly, so did I. We both closed our eyes and fell back asleep, this time without any nightmares.