Chapter 16

POV: Virgil

Despite Roman's warnings, I had gone to find Janus. It wasn't very hard, considering Janus's hat had a tracker. I found him hiding in the dark shadows of the Imagination. That seemed like something I would do. I engulfed him in a giant hug, even though I wasn't fond of hugs.

"What have you been doing," I asked with panic quite visible in my voice.

"Why, what were you told," he asked.

"Roman said that you... you killed Joan and Terrence. And Logan," I said, my voice shaking.

Janus looked down guiltily, not saying anything at first.

Oh. My. God. Janus had killed Joan, Terrence, and Logan. Roman was right. I felt like I was going to pass out, but I kept myself standing up.

"Roman is trying to pull us apart," he said.

"Janus, don't do this," I pleaded.

"Don't do what? All I'm doing is protecting you," he said loudly, making me flinch.

"By murdering innocent people," I asked, "You don't have to do this. Janus, please stop."

Janus gripped my arms, "I'm doing this for us. Trust me."

"Let go of him," I heard behind me. What? I turned my head around to see Roman standing there. He followed me here?

TW: Choking

"You traitor," is what I heard right before I felt two hands squeezing my neck. My own husband's hands. I began crying as I fought for air and tried to pull Janus's hands away from me, but he was much stronger than me. His eyes were cold and emotionless. This wasn't my husband, this wasn't the man I married.

He let me go and I fell to the ground, gasping for air. My head hit the ground hard enough to make me black out.

POV: Roman

I stared at Virgil's unconscious body for a few seconds before rushing to him and picking him up, not even bothering to acknowledge Janus. I ran back to our home as fast as possible and used a bit of magic to create a hospital. I rushed inside with Virgil still in my arms. I laid him down in a hospital bed and made sure he was comfortable.

POV: Virgil

TW: Death

I awoke to Roman beside me and a heart monitor beeping very slowly. I knew I didn't have much time left, I could already feel myself slipping away to eternal darkness. There was just one thing I had to say.

"I wish I could go back and change things. But I can't."

Roman watched me with tears streaming down his face.

"Stay safe, Princey. Please bring Disney love back here. They're gonna need it. And if you ever think about giving up, I've got an idea, don't, don't even try to give up. Things will be better soon.

Hopefully."

And then, darkness.