2

y/n sat in the principal's office, having a stare off with the principal himself.

"you got anything to say for yourself?" he asked her.

"i have the right to remain silent till my lawyer arrives" she responded.

just then, the door to the principal's office opened and in walked the girls' volleyball team captain, nakamura kazumi.

"and there she is" y/n smiled

kazumi's eyes landed on her teammate sitting in the chair in front of the principal.

"surprise" y/n wiggled her eyebrows and went to stand next to kazumi.

"what did you do this time?" she asked y/n.

"nothing, swear" y/n grinned sheepishly and pinched her throat.

kazumi turned to the principal "sir did she-"

"she did nothing" the principal confirmed

"then wh-"

the principal cut her off, "our reputed l/n here, told a student she would... castrate him and did nothing afterwards"

y/n snorted under her breath, "that's one way to put it"

she leaned in to whisper quickly to kazumi, "i told him i'll chop his balls off"

the latter had a puzzled look on her face, "sir i don't understand, is that all?"

the principal rubbed his forehead impatiently, "let me finish nakamura, that student has been scared out of his mind and has refused to come to school for a week now"

"it was an empty threat!" y/n said defensively.

kazumi sighed "it usually is an empty threat y/n except when YOU say it, it doesn't sound very empty"

"took the words right out of my mouth nakamura" the principal applauded.

"whatever, he doesn't deserve the balls anyway if he can't back it up" y/n shrugged in annoyance and the principal looked at her with a stern expression.

kazumi looked at the him apologetically, "sir she'll apologise to the guy at the earliest, if you'll excuse us please, we have the final round of our prefectural prelims today"

the principal smiled in satisfaction for the first time since that morning, "very well, you may leave"

and kazumi hurriedly dragged y/n out of the office.

"you really should consider becoming a lawyer" y/n slung an arm around kazumi's shoulders as soon as the door shut behind them.

"and you really should consider staying out of trouble for once" kazumi pinched the skin between her eyebrows.

"can i be blamed though? he was talking smack about you. plus the balls thing was all i said, nothing more"

kazumi nodded, "well that's nekoma for you, full of rich softies, but you would've gotten suspended if that principal was in a pissy mood"

y/n scoffed, "that old geezer can't suspend me, i'm the star player"

"okay star player but you'd better go apologise to the guy before our match"

"aw do i have to?"

kazumi gave her a look and y/n's whining stopped immediately.

on their way to the gym, they found a stray volleyball lying on the ground so y/n picked it up and began tossing it from one hand to the other as she walked.

"did you notice? that old cabbage didn't even wish us good luck when you told him about the prelims" y/n rolled her eyes as the ball slipped from her hands.

kazumi chuckled as she waited for y/n to pick it back up, "you and your hatred for this school"

"ill egg his office on graduation day"

.
.
.

the doors to the volleyball gym slammed open to reveal kazumi standing with her hands on her hips.

y/n stepped up next to her, spinning the volleyball on her index finger with a smug look on her face.

"so the stars are showing up fashionably late? how annoying" kuroo smirked distastefully.

y/n stuck her tongue out at him and walked over to where the rest of the girls team was standing.

"excuse the tardiness, everyone ready for the final round?" kazumi asked loudly, going to stand next to kuroo and facing the teams.

all of the boys team as well as the girls nodded and gave her a thumbs up.

"we're going by bus" kuroo informed

"we get to sit with the girls?" yamamoto asked excitedly.

"yes yamamoto, now stop wasting your energy jumping around" kuroo turned to coach nekomata who was sitting in his chair, "coach are we ready to leave?"

the coach held up five fingers which meant 'wait for five minutes' in coach sign language.

so the teens dispersed all over the gym, some talking, others double checking their belongings.

y/n spotted kuroo standing with his hands on his waist and threw the volleyball that she was holding at him with full force.

he caught it when it was centimetres away from his chest and looked up to see y/n walking towards him.

"ready to lose? or are you finally gonna make it to nationals this year?" she teased.

"we're one of the strongest in tokyo sweetheart, so you should worry about yourself" he smiled down at her.

"see captain, that's the difference between you and me, you're one of the strongest, i am the strongest"

kuroo was smiling but y/n could clearly see a vein popping on his forehead.

she giggled, it was so much fun to piss him off.

"im not taking that from someone who looks like a pectinariidae"

"yeah? well you look like you say no more mister nice guy before a fight and then get clocked good"

"and you look like you say suck it up buttercup-"

"that's enough you two" kazumi said calmly, making both of them shut their mouths.

kazumi dragged y/n away to have a talk with the girls team.

y/n turned back to kuroo one last time and blew a raspberry then smiled, "suck it up buttercup"

kuroo and her had been rivals since the day they stepped into their class at the beginning of their first year at nekoma.

it had all started when the teacher asked a question and y/n was about to answer, but kuroo beat her to it. the girl didn't like him one bit.

her second straw was when they signed up for the volleyball club at the same time.

both announced that they wanted to go to nationals when asked for their reason behind joining the club.

she glared at him but he just smiled at her.

by the time they reached their second year of highschool, they found themselves competing against each other in everything, be it sports, academics, dating, extracurriculars, you name it.

it only worsened when they entered their third year.

presently,

"okay everyone, line up for attendance and we're leaving!" the assistant coach called out.

it didn't take long for everyone to be seated in the bus.

the third years took the longest seat at the very back of the bus so y/n was squished between kazumi and yaku.

she was okay with that, yaku was tolerable, they were good friends and had fun taking shots at kuroo.