008.

Elena's aunt came home from work. Her name is Jenna, and she reminds me comfortably of Lila. I suppose the blonde hair-green eyes combo doesn't help. Funnily enough, Elena convinces her to let me stay over. I would feel strange, if we were more than one year apart, but we're not. Elena waves me goodbye from her window on the second floor, as I leave her house into the night.

My father isn't home when I walk in the door. I only live a surprising few streets away from Elena. The case of mistaken identity becomes more and more believable. Maisie is bustling around the kitchen. I sneak past her and up the stairs. There's a note and a box on my bed.

Mia,

I know you're angry with me. I went to work at the bookstore. Maisie can take of herself. Here's a new cell. Please don't lose this one.

-dad

I sigh, and nearly feel guilty. But this is on him. Doing normal parental things like insuring my safety is not a cause for celebration, nor an apology. It's his duty. And it doesn't make up for a lifelong secret.

I grab my duffel, the same one I took on my trip with Elijah. It's nothing special, a basic black. But it sends me back, nonetheless. I pack a few pairs of pajama pants, practically my whole underwear drawer, and some jeans. Elena and I go to the same school, maybe my stay will be extended.

I attempt to head out the back door. But as soon as my hand slips around the knob, a cough sounds. "You're gonna leave again?" I turn. Maisie stands with her arms crossed, and a dubious look. "Yes. I'm going to a friend's house."

"You were just at a friend's house last week, for like, three days. Why didn't you tell me you were leaving? And dad wouldn't say her name. Why is everyone lying to me?!" She demands. I hesitate. It's a feeling I know all too well. But dad will not do to her what he's done to me. A new spark glints in my eye. "Okay. You win. Pack yourself a bag. You're coming to Elena Gilbert's house with me."

~~~

I'm a little nervous to tell Maisie the truth. But I think a lie is more dangerous than the truth. And at the moment, I don't think she's in any danger. I can protect her. Once I learn. I walk through the front door of the Gilbert residence. She really should lock her door. But I freeze at the sight before me, and Maisie bumps into me.

Looks like danger found its way to me. Elijah stands in Elena's hallway. "Stay out here." I command my little sister. The closet underneath Elena's stairs is open, and many boxes are out. I was wrong. This whole thing was a mistake. And I might've just put Maisie in more danger than she would've been if I had just left her at home. Elena shakes his hand.

What have I done?

"Just so you know, you're welcome to stay here and rummage through this stuff, or Elena, Mia, and I could help you load it into your car." Elijah looks over Elena's shoulder, directly at me.

"Yeah. Or I can get someone to pick it up tomorrow." He looks away from me to make eye contact with Jenna. "Also a good plan." Jenna sticks out her hand for Elijah to shake. He does. "Thank you for inviting me into your house, Jenna." Maybe it's the undertone of his voice, but it sounds like he's saying something else completely.

He walks past Elena, and heads for the door, where my sister waits. I panic, and try not to show it. He turns again. "And Elena? I hope to see you again sometime soon." It's a promise. That, I can tell. He steps past me, letting his gaze linger not longer than three seconds, then he's gone. Elena watches as he opens the door, but my sister is nowhere in sight.

I stare out, confusedly. He looks at me. "I told you, Amelia. You'll see me again. Oh, and tell your sister there's no need to hide. I can hear her breathing." Maisie steps out of a bush in Elena's yard, suspiciously eyeing Elijah, then holds her chin up and marched right past him, into the house. "Bravery must run in the family." He smiles, then disappears.

Maisie lets out a breath. "Who was that? Why did you tell me to wait outside?" Elena and I exchange a look. Now, I'm not sure what the best option is. Tell her? Don't tell her? This whole being in charge of someone's safety thing is infuriatingly frustrating.

~~~
In the end, the decision is made for me. Elena bolts upstairs, and I follow. "Stay down here." I command Maisie, for the second time today. "Elena! Slow down!" I call up to her. She reaches the top and begins banging on a bedroom door, and rattling the doorknob. The door swings open, but Elijah appears on the opposite side, holding a finger to his lips.

Jeremy stands in the door, pulling a shirt down. Elena grits her teeth but makes up some lame excuse. "Um, Jenna was just asking me to ask you to help her with some boxes." Jeremy scoffs. "Seriously? Just knock next time." He leaves the room, completely oblivious of the man standing opposite of him.

Elijah looks to me. "My apologies Amelia, but this doesn't concern you. Join your sister downstairs." Elena gives me a look. "Just do what he says. Please." She adds. Reluctantly, I take myself back downstairs. Now, I've decided. Maisie cannot know the truth.

Jeremy has abandoned his boxes downstairs in favor to talk to Maisie in tbe living room. Maisie holds her own boxes to the side. Huh. Despite being in a world filled with death, he is still just a teenage boy. And Maisie is just a teenage girl.

~~~