22.

Bonnie positions my hand. "Focus. You have your own magic now. Think of the sun." My eyes narrow as I concentrate. One of Caroline's rings lies on the Salvatore couch, gracefully lent to me. Carefully avoiding the sun, I flex my fingers. Bonnie didn't exactly specify what to think about. So I think about the sun. My memories in it. Nothing happens. I put down my hand and groan. But Bonnie is ecstatic.

"You did it!" She cheers. Confused, I blanche. "Uh-". She slides it on my finger. "Bonnie, I don't know..." Damon pushes me in the sun. I scowl and swing a hand out quickly punching his shoulder. "Ow." He says sarcastically, but I see him rolling his shoulder. Then I flip him the bird and turn to face the sun. It feels wonderful. The heat seems to prick at my skin, but no longer painful.

I sigh. Bonnie gives me a reassuring smile and picks up her book bag from nearby. I nearly forgot. I don't go to school much these days. My attendance must be horrendous. But then again, I'm a senior. They expect these kind of things. Damon frowns. "Where the hell do you think you're going?" Elena sighs. "School. I'm not going to be a prisoner here. I appreciate you signing over the house to me, really I do. But no one knows where Klaus is. Besides, I have Bonnie to protect me. And Mia, if she wants to." I nod confidently. It'll be nice to learn my magic.

"Sparky shouldn't even be going to school. She's a new vampire, and hardly in control, never mind her magic." Damon shoots back. But Stefan steps in. "Don't worry. I'm going too. I'll watch her." He smiles not unkindly at me. Hm. At least one of the brothers has a sense of human decency.

~~~

Elena dangles a poster in Stefan's face, informing of the upcoming dance tonight. He shakes his head in a definite no. She frowns, and turns in her seat. Bonnie sends her a smile and a nod. They both look at me expectantly. I groan, then send a sarcastically enthusiastic thumbs up. The last thing I need right now is a school dance.

"Elena." She turns around in her chair to face the front of the room. Mr. Saltzman stands, with a chalk in his hand. Today's lesson is about the 1960's apparently. How funny it should also be the theme of the dance.

At lunch, the strangest thing happens.

Me, Elena, and Bonnie are eating lunch. A girl approaches us, with a strange airy look. "A hot guy just asked me if you're going to the dance tonight." Elena looks up in surprise. "Oh, really? And did he say his name, Dana?" She nods. "I think it was...Klaus?" Elena's smile drops and I freeze, dropping my fork.

Bonnie pales. "Is he-is he in this room?" She stutters. As if on cue, the three of us scan the room quickly, looking for anyone out of place. But all is well. "I don't know." The girl, Dana, seems disturbed. "She's been compelled." Bonnie whispers. "Anyways, he said to save him the last dance. See you later!" We all watch speechlessly as she walks away.

"Klaus is here?!" I all but shout. Elena nods gravely. "Must be. This is it. He's finally come for me." She groans. "Just once, I'd like to get through a day without someone trying to kill me." You said it, sister.

~~~

I get ready in front of the mirror in my room. Maisie stands in my bedroom doorway, already in her getup. "Come on!" She groans. "I refused a ride from Jeremy for this!" Worry wrinkles my features. Maybe it's the not the best for her to come tonight. But dad knows what's going on. And he begrudgingly agreed it was safe as long as I keep an eye on her.

I only hope my abilities are strong enough to fend off an Original if it comes down to it.

My own dress is a yellow and orange checkered knit. It comes down to my knees, and is complete with white leather boots coming up to the space between my dress and knees. I also have a white headband to accomplice it. My hair is up in a traditional curled half and half style. A horn honks from outside. I put the finishing touches on my makeup and rush out the room.

Maisie and I cram into the truck and Dad drives off.

When we get to the school, lots of cars are already jammed into the parking lot. Maisie climbs out immediately. I wait a little longer. My dad sighs. "She's getting older, just like her big sister. Can't even tell her dear old dad bye. Have a good time Mia. No alcohol. Or drugs." He warns and adds. "You got it." I slip my legs out of the car and close the door. "Mia?"

"Yeah dad?"

"I love you."

"I know."

~~~