010.

I'm woken up by Elena, moving around. She pulls on a jacket, and brushes her long brunette hair. As I pull myself up on the bed, she shoots me an apologetic look. I throw the covers off my body and stand, stretching. "Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you." I yawn. "No worries. Are you going somewhere?" She nods. "My boyfriend's house, Stefan. Elijah just freed him from the tomb."

My eyes widen. The other Salvatore. "Tomb? He was stuck in a tomb? As in, a grave?" She sighs. "It's a long story. A really long story, actually. Ask Jeremy to tell you the full of it." Wha-okay, somebody better start telling me everything that goes on around here. Every time I think I've learned everything, something else pops up.

She leaves out her bedroom door, slinging a purse-strap onto her shoulder. Jenna is cooking downstairs, sausage, and eggs. She waves at me. "Morning! I hope you slept well. Where are you going, Elena?" Elena stops. "To see Stefan. He's back from his trip." That must be the lie spun to cover up Stefan's absence. Jenna's face lights up. It's not hard to see she approves of the younger Salvatore.

I glance over the couch that Maisie is supposed to be sleeping on. The covers are strewn about, but no Maisie. "Hey, where's Maisie?" I ask Jenna. She furrows her brows. "She's not with you? I assumed she moved to the room with you guys." Alarm bells go off. "Well if she's not down here, then where is she?" Elena scoffs, but I don't know why until she's marching upstairs in a fury.

She had better not be where I think she is.

Elena reaches the stairs and bangs on Jeremy's door. "Jeremy! Open this door!" she demands. The door creaks open slowly. Jeremy stares out, gritting his teeth. "Yes, dear sister?" Her eyes narrow. His body blocks the view into his room. Elena pushes past him  and into the room, where Maisie sits on his bed. I scan her appearance. Her cheeks are flushed, but other than that she's wearing all her clothes.

"What the hell were you thinking?" I demand as I drag her out of the room. She grunts and swats at my hand. "Jeremy. Outside. Now." Elena says through a clenched jaw. Maisie breaks away from my grip downstairs. "None of your business!" She shouts. "Yes it is!" I hiss. "Dad left me in charge of you, and the second I leave you alone you go jumping into the first boy's bed you see?!"

Her eyes widen. "I just wanted some answers around here! No one will tell me anything! And dad did not leave you in charge of me! God Mia, just because he's not around doesn't mean you're in charge. We didn't do anything. Next time, stop to ask questions instead of jumping to conclusions!" She turns to leave.

How dare she act so immature?! She has no idea how much I'm trying to protect her! Jenna has gone silent now, and is discreetly busy flipping eggs. Jeremy and Elena's voices have quieted, and seconds later he storms into the house and up the stairs without sparing a glance. I grab Maisie's arm, and something darkens in her face as she whirls around.

"YOU.ARE.NOT.MOM! OKAY?! You're not her. And you never will be." She walks out of the house.
My anger boils over and I explode. "YEAH?! WELL I'M GLAD LILA ISN'T MY MOTHER!" She freezes and turns around. "What the hell did you just say?" I stop and slap my hand over my mouth, but it's too late. The anger is already receding and the guilt setting in.

"What did you say, Amelia?!" It stings to hear my full name from her. But it's necessary. I allow the hurt to steel me for what I'm about to say. "Lila is not my mother. Dad lied to us both." She shakes her head, disbelieving. "No. No, you're lying. Lila loved you!" I throw up my hands. "And? That means nothing." Maisie scoffs and runs a hand through her hair.

"Cmon. You can't possibly be that stupid." I hiss. "Look at us. We look nothing alike." Tears prick in her eyes, as she turns heel and begins running away. "Wait. Maisie!" I call after her. She has no idea how dangerous it is to be by herself. Shit! Jenna comes up behind me. "It doesn't get any easier. But she'll see eventually it's for her own good." Her words start to sound hideously familiar.

I get a sick feeling in my stomach. All this time, I've been trashing my father, hating him for keeping my history a lie, when in turn I've done the same to my sister. Just to protect her. I've made a terrible mistake. Maisie deserves the truth. And my dad deserves an apology. I take out my new cell and hesitate. How will I explain that I've lost Maisie?

I can't. So instead, I tuck my phone back into my pocket. There's someone else I should talk to.

Jeremy is listening to music and sketching on his bed when I knock on the door. "If you've come to tear into my ass some more, save it." I cough. He looks up then. "Oh. It's you. Come in, I guess." He removes his headphones. "What do you want?"

"I'm sorry for storming in here like that earlier. I didn't mean to embarrass you or my sister. But you shouldn't have had the door closed. It made us think that you were trying to hide something and...yeah. But I'm not here about that." His face softens. "I want answers." He sits up. "About what?"

"Everything."

~~~