016.

It's not until Damon is leading me into a hole in the ground that I start to get afraid again. Why would anyone be down here? Certainly not by choice. We reach an opening and are nearly encased in darkness. My heart pounds nearly out of my chest, and I know Damon can hear it. There's a shuffling sound, and a torch is lit ablaze. He hands it to me and shrugs. "I forget. You can't see as well as I can."

I nearly drop it when I see where we are. It's a cave. And slumped up against a wall is a woman. But she's all wrong. She doesn't seem to be breathing, and her eyes are shut. Her skin is a sickly gray color. I gasp. "Elena!" Damon makes an exaggerated sigh. "Nope. Katherine. Her evil doppelgänger. Stay back." He warns, as he crouches down to her level.

He waves a bag of something dark, nearly black, under her nose. Slowly, she comes to. Quicker than my eyes can track, she snatches the thing from his hands and sits up on her own. "Drink up." Damon says, stepping back. "We have a lot of talking to do."

Katherine casts the bag to the side, already done. She watches me with narrowed, calculated eyes. But there's something else there. Desperation. "What are you, his new toy?" She yawns, despite having been laid up on a wall not five minutes ago. I watch her in disbelief. "Why did you bring me here?" I question, not tearing my eyes from her glittering black ones. How is it she look identical to my friend, but yet so much more dangerous and dark? I take another step back.

"Good question. Why did you bring her here?" She feigns nonchalance, but I can tell from her expression that she's genuinely curious. "I'll tell you. I want some answers. You answer correctly, and my friend here can break you out." Huh?! "I've done some shopping as well. Looks like that blood did the trick. You're almost pretty again." He hangs some hangers on a nearby gate. "What do you want Damon?"

"Guess who's back in town? Your old friend, John Gilbert." She barely reacts to this. "Why?"

"He loves his daughter. Wants to protect her from Elijah and the big bad Klaus. He told me about an old wives tale on how to kill an original." A slow smirk spread across her face as she slowly pushed herself up onto her feet. "And you don't know if it's true or not. If it was, I wouldn't tell you." She turns and makes to go further into the cave.

"Ah yes, but you see, that's the fun of magic loopholes. See my friend here? She's a freak. An anomaly. A reverse-witch. She can siphon about any magic spell, and then some. I'm sure compulsion falls under that category." Wait, what?! "I don't think-"Damon cuts me off. Katherine views me with a new interest, and Damon with suspicion.

"Why would you let me out after all this time?" Damon shrugs. "Let's let bygones be bygones." Silence. A sigh. "Oh, come on. You want Klaus and Elijah dead, we want Klaus and Elijah dead." Alarms go off in my head. Elijah? Dead? I can't fathom it."i want Klaus dead. Elijah? No." I almost breath a sigh of relief. Then she opens her mouth again. Whilst pulling on a jacket. "If Elijah dies, I'll be stuck in here." Damon shrugs. "Sucks for you."

But Katherine is unfazed. "You can't kill Elijah. It's a suicide mission."

"Can to."

"Can't."

"Hm. Hey Sparky, go to the car, will ya?" I frown. "Just do it. I need you to go get something. It's a small bag." Aggravated, I obey, and begin the descent back up. I rummage everywhere for a good ten minutes. The backseat. The front seat. Under the seats. The console. Even the trunk. But there's nothing. I'm suspicious now.

I make the trek back down. It's clear some words have been exchanged in my absence, because Katherine's noticeably pale, and wild, unhidden fear is in her eyes. Damon only smirks. "Cmon. I got what I needed." Katherine's eyes fall on me for a second, a silent plead in her eyes. But I'm not sure what she's trying to say.

~~~