018.

Elijah's gone when I wake up. And I would be disappointed, but that would be unrealistic. A thousand year-old vampire? He's bound to have things to do. But I am disappointed in Maisie. "Where the hell have you been?!" I shout after tearing open her curtains. She groans and rolls over. "Chill out." I pull up her blinds. "I was with dad." I frown. "All night?" I stare suspiciously at the Maisie-shaped lump.

A beat. "Yes." She lies. My eyes narrow. "Don't lie to me, Mais. I will tell dad you've been sneaking out. If he doesn't already know." She finally caves and throws the blankets off her face. "Fine. Some friends from school. No one important." She chucks a pillow at my head which I successfully dodge. "Oh yeah? Which ones?" She sighs, and fidgets with her fingers. "You wouldn't know them."

"What grade are they in?"

"....12th." My eyes widen and I chuck the pillow back at her. "Seniors?! Maisie, you're a sophomore. What're you doing hanging out with them?" She rolls her eyes. "What's the problem? You're a senior. You seem to have no problem roping me into your business."

"I'm your sister." I say as calmly as possible. "And if I recall correctly, you wanted to be in the loop." Her eyes twitches and I take as a sign to leave her room.My birthdays in two days now, and inevitable. Which means there's a surprise party lurking around the corner. But not if I can help it. As long as I don't let it slip that my birthday's coming up, it should be fine. At least, around Caroline Forbes.

I decide to visit the Salvatore House for the fifth time this week. I wanna know what the actual hell Damon was thinking. I strut through without knocking and nearly knock into Elena. My surprise cuts through all else. "Elena? You're back?" She stops and stares at me with the strangest look. "...yes. As a matter of fact, come with me. I need your help." I sputter helplessly as she drags me away with surprising strength.

"Where are we going?" I ask as she pushes me toward a car. She starts it and begins to drive. I'm starting to get a strange crawling feeling up my neck. But I'm not sure what it is. "Somewhere fun. So, tell me about your magic." What a strange turn this took. "Um, I'm like a reverse-witch. Instead of doing my own magic, I can take it." She taps her finger on the wheel as she speeds through traffic.

"From anything magical?" I nod, cautiously. "It wouldn't be necessary if my werewolf curse was activated, probably." She slams on the brake, and I lurch forward with an 'oomph'. "What did you say?!" She whips around. I take a moment to recover. "My werewolf curse. You'd think I'd be able to siphon that on my own, but I guess it doesn't work that way." I make to shrug.

"You're a werewolf...and a witch?" I look at her strangely. "Elena, you know this already. What's wrong with you?" But she doesn't answer, and leans back into her seat. "That must be why Elijah's so interested in you. Because he will be." I swallow and start pressing into the seat, inching toward the door. I don't know what's wrong right now, but my instincts are telling me to run. But that's ridiculous, right?

My hands shakily wraps around the handle. She's still muttering to herself. I prepare to leap out into the woods. Quickly, I push open the door and make a mad dash. Her head snaps up and she's in front of me, impossibly fast. I finally reach the horrifying conclusion that was nagging at the back of my mind. This is not Elena. This is Katherine.

"Katherine." I gasp. "How did you get out?" She smirks. "How do you think? Loverboy came back and set me free after you idiots thought it was a good idea to double cross him." I flashback to last night. Safe to say, I cut ties loose. "But it doesn't matter. Because sweet, little, Elena tricked him and stuck a dagger back into his chest all over again. Who'd have thought she had it in her?" She gauges my reaction carefully.

I can't believe it. Elijah's dead? My heart drops. "Oh yes." She laughs wickedly. "Oh, this is rich." She begins cackling. "You'll be perfect." Wait, what? I have no time to register as she jams a syringe into my neck. I cry out and fall to my knees. "What did you do to me?"

"Just business." She tosses the syringe to the side. "Nothing personal. Well, kinda." I crawl backward as she begins stalking toward me. She steps over me and wraps her hands around my neck. Everything goes black after a quick flash of pain.

~~~