27.

Maisie

I'm still rattled from Dad's outburst. Mia ran off, and it's getting dark. I decide to take a walk. It's unnaturally cold tonight. I shiver, and rub my arms. A loud yell is the only warning I get before a dog runs underneath my legs, tripping me up. A man, completely out of breath helps me up, and scolds his golden retriever for running away from him. He wears a Red Sox baseball cap. "I am so sorry about Becky, love." He apologies, and I notice he has an English accent.

"No worries. Say, that's a fancy accent you have." He laughs brusquely. "It's English. A little bit of London, a little bit of Australian." My eyes pop. "Wow. You've been to London?" He nods, then brushes a hair from my face. Immediately uncomfortable, I fidget. "You're a pretty little thing, aren't you?" Not knowing how to answer, I laugh nervously. "You look just like her." I look up at that. "What?"

"Well, like your sister of course. Amelia." Warning bells go off in my head. "Ah. Never heard that one before." I struggle to keep calm. "Well, acutally I should be getting home. My dad will be out looking for me..." I step back. His smile drops and his face darkens. "So soon?" He grins, but it's one that entrails darkness. Now, totally afraid and blood-pumping, I nod.

Then I turn around, and take off running. "Oh, the parties just getting started." He snarls as he speeds in front of me and slaps me. Everything goes black.

Salvatore House

Me, Elena, and Elijah talk more about the elixir. I convince myself the only reason I came over is because I need to know more of the plan. Not because Elijah is here. And-oh my God! I start with a jolt. Both Elijah and Elena are looking at me strangely. "Mia?" Elena asks, uncertainly. "Oh, uh, it's nothing. It's just, my birthday, it's today."

Elena's eyes widen at the admittance. "Oh...Mia I'm sorry." I wave her off. "Nah. It's kinda funny, actually. 'Happy birthday, you're officially eighteen. But not really because you stopped aging three days ago'." Elena stares at me in concern, and Elijah is unamused. "Mi-" a loud clatter sounds. We all hop up, and me and Elijah simultaneously go to put Elena behind us. She follows behind us. "Stay back." Elijah warns. We walk around the corner to see Jenna, pointing a crossbow at Alaric. "Jenna. Jenna, put the crossbow down, it's me." He insists. Stefan and Damon also come down the hallway.

"Stay away from me." Jenna grits. I flex my fist. "It's me." He promises, again. Damon comes to stand behind Klaric, eyeing him suspiciously, no doubt ready to put him down. "Elena, I swear. He let me go. Klaus let me go." Yeah right. Highly unlikely. "Prove it." Jenna demands. "Uh, okay. The first night you and I spent together, Jeremy walked in right when I was-"It's him." Jenna confirms quickly, and lowers the crossbow.

"Why'd he let you go?" Stefan questions. "Because he wanted me to deliver a message. The sacrifice happens tonight." We all look at Elijah, who has a stony look on his face. Elena swallows. But I know what this means. Parties cancelled.

~~~

Elena leaves the room. Me and Elijah sit in a comfortable silence. After a few moments, shouts erupt from upstairs. I sigh. Elijah looks up at me then. "Something bothering you?" I shake my head. He frowns, and move to sit next to me. My heart skips a beat. "Liar. You know, I despise liars, Am-Mia." I don't respond. He puts his hand on mine. Surprised, I flinch, but he doesn't remove it.

"Is it your birthday? Because it's been ruined by something as foolish as my brother?" Instead of answering him, I stare into his eyes. Those deep and murky eyes, full of secrets. "Eli-". My phone begins ringing. I wince at the shrill, piercing, sound. I'd have to change that. Leaning away in disappointment, I stand and walk to the opposite side of the room.

"Hello?" Right off, I can tell something is wrong. My dad is scared, fear drips practically from the phone. "Mia. Mia, thank god. I was scared he'd taken you too." What?! I stiffen up. "Who, dad? And what do you mean 'to'?" Elijah's by my side in an instant. "It's Maisie. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but he has her. Klaus has Maisie. Mia?"

I drop the phone and the whole world comes to a standstill. Klaus has Maisie? My hearts stops. I don't even feel it when I move. "Elijah!" Damon yells when I collapse. He catches me gracefully, murmuring things my ears are too drowned with to understand. "It'll be okay. She'll be okay. I won't let anything happen to her." He promises. But I'm not listening. I'm too busy imagining all the terrible things that Klaus could be doing to her.

A sob builds in my chest. Elijah cuts off abruptly. My whole form shakes terribly, and I let out a dragging breath. It's the only warning I give before I breakdown. The tears come in torrents. Elijah flashes Damon a warning look, and Damon leaves us alone in the room, shutting the door behind him. Elijah waits until Damon leaves the house completely, then sits down next to me and draws me to him. I inhale his scent from his chest. It's overwhelmingly masculine.

"I don't understand. Why would he choose her?!" I choke out. Elijah holds me close. "He won't hurt her." I shake my head, and dry my tears, sniffling. Then I pull back just a little bit, so I can crane my head to see his face. "How do you know?" His eyes meet mine, and a spark of electricity bolts through. "I'll do everything in my power." He whispers. In this moment, I've never felt more grateful.

His lips meet mine a brief show of a promise, but I don't let him go that easy. Instead, I lean forward and press my lips to him harder. I can feel the surprise ripple through him as he shudders. When he finally pull back, there's a look in his eye. One I haven't seen before on him. Wildness. Vulnerability. Barely-controlled restraint. And most of all, want. No, need.

"Don't do that." He says, in a pained voice. "Why not?" I question. His lower lip trembles. "You're distressed. Not thinking straight." I shake my head. "No I'm not. As a matter of fact, this is the first time I've been thinking straight since I moved here. I know what I want." And with that, he allows me to lean backwards on the couch, until he's on top of me.
It's not like I've never had sex before, but I've never had sex with Elijah.

My hands explore his chest, and he pulls my leg up to rest around his waist. Now, there is a new look in his eyes. Hungriness. And my hands are fumbling and trying to stay steady as I try take off his jacket, and his button-up shirt. Eventually, I grow frustrated and just rip it off him with my vampire strength. I'm briefly afraid he'll be angry, but instead, he seems to take it as an invitation.

He makes a sound deep in his throat, like a growl, and rips my clothes off of me. Over and over again, we fit together perfectly. My hands rake down his perfectly toned back, and he responds by kissing my neck. The kisses only further increase my rapidly growing warmth.

When we're done, we lay silently. I want to lay there forever, but I know we have to get up. Get ready. Figure out a plan to help Maisie. It ends up not being my decision. Damon barrels in and I yelp, reaching any and everywhere for something to cover myself. "Oh, God. Not on my couch." Damon whines, as he turns himself around. "Uhm, I came to check on her, but I can see you've got that covered." He motions, with his back still turned to us.

"We need to talk game-plans. So, join us when you're ready. Stefan and Elena just go back." Just got back? How long was in here?? I check my phone in a hurry and see it's 6:00 P.M. "Oh, shit. Uh, wait." I hesitate, before Damon leaves out the door. "Could I...get some clothes?"

~~~