012.

"Thanks for inviting me guys, but I'm not sure how much use I can be, I can't control my magic." I say to Caroline and Bonnie, shaking their hands. Bonnie and Caroline have invited me to the Mystic Falls Grill, for 'supernatural' reasons. They didn't elaborate much on that. "So, where's Elena today?" Bonnie covers a laugh. "If I tell you, I'll have to kill you." She jokes.

"Okay...I get it. Doppelgänger stuff?" I lean in closer so she can lower her voice. Caroline sighs. "No. Her and McDreamy took off to Elena's lake house. Alone." Bonnie swats at Caroline. "Not that I don't think you're trustworthy. Especially not after last night."

-12 HOURS EARLIER -

"Dad, where are we going?" I question. We're now in the middle of the woods. "The final piece of your heritage, that I've been keeping from you both." Both? Maisie and I exchange a look. There are tents, and a trailer parked in the middle of the trees. People bustle about, talking, cleaning. Dad parks by the trailer, and wrinkles his nose. "I smell blood. Stay in the car."

Maisie protests. I shush her quickly. He knocks twice on the door, in some weird pattern. A woman appears. I see Maisie's mouth form a name. Jules. She begins muttering to herself. "Mais? What is it?" She frowns. "That woman, Jules. She was at the house yesterday. But dad made her leave." At the house? Now I'm interested. Who is she? And what does she have to do with us?

"Distant cousin?" I wonder aloud. "I don't think so. Although, I guess I can see the resemblance." I glare at Maisie's subtle jab. We both begin to argue but stop when shouting from inside the camper begins to occur. "They're not ready! Have you lost your damn mind? They'll come and kill you all! I hate vampires as much as the next person, but these ones are different!

Chaos and death follow them everywhere they go. Especially the older one. They don't care about Tyler. I've seen them, I've been studying them. The Salvatore's only care about themselves and their personal bubble. Only fools would steal from the Salvatore brothers! You'd better hope they spare Tyler's life now. And you'd better pray. Because once they come, you're dead. All of you."

~~~

-THREE HOURS LATER-

"Tyler, you know the right choice. Help her!" I grunt from my spot on the floor where I'm pinned. The night cloaks them as they move like ghosts, slaughtering them all. I try to avoid skin-to-skin contact with the wolf. I don't know how much I'm capable of taking. I know it's painful, evident from Elijah. But I don't know if it can kill. And I don't wanna take the risk and trigger my curse.

Just hours earlier, my father revealed that not only are we descended from a long line of wolves, both me and Maisie are wolves, at least, biologically. Maisie was stoked, of course. At least until it was revealed how the curse worked. She'd watched in horror as my dad displayed a documented video of the Change. As every sickening crunch occurred, she flinched.

But I don't know what it means for me. I didn't even know it was possible to be both. There's only one person in history I've ever heard of it. Niklaus Mikaelson. The Great vampire-werewolf Hybrid. But even he cannot be two at once, at least not until he breaks the Sun and Moon Curse. I don't know how it works. Like, if I'm already supernatural, shouldn't I be able to pull magic from myself?

And would I still have my magic after I Changed? No one ever told me the rules about being a hybrid. You cannot be a witch and vampire, because witches are servants of nature, and vampires are the opposite. But I'm not a regular witch. I'm an abomination of nature, completely separate from witches with their own power. So I wonder, is it possible?

After I overheard on my dad's phone that Caroline had been kidnapped, of course I snuck out to Elena's house. My dad is still set in the vampires vs. werewolves tradition. Whatever. I've seen Stefan Salvatore, the wild opposite of his brother. I've seen good. Kindness. Not all vampires are evil. I refuse to believe that. And Caroline. Despite being a total bitch sometimes, she's not evil. She doesn't deserve this.

I don't understand how my father's only problem with it is that she's associated with the Salvatore's. But I cannot hate him. It's how he was raised. I just hope he doesn't lead Maisie down the same path.

Tyler finally helps Caroline, unlocking her cage. The werewolf holding me down finally notices what he's doing. He hops off of me and leaps for Tyler. I grab his ankle. His hisses and whips around but my grip is unwavering. "What are you? You would betray one of your own kind for one of them?!" I sniff and begin to stand, shifting my grip to his wrist. He groans and crumples to his knees. "There is no 'them'. We're all the same." I say through clenched teeth.

"It's about time things changed around here." It's like I'm a whole different person and I can't let go. The magic drains into me, inviting, addicting. And the sick part? I love it. He collapses finally, unconscious. I hear his heart begin to slow gradually. "Mia!" Stefan barks at me from the entrance of the camper. I break from my trance to realize Caroline's cage is empty, and Tyler has gone.

I drop his limp arm. Stefan shoots me a disappointed look, and checks the man's pulse. "He's alive. Barely, but he'll heal." He grabs my arm and pulls me out of the camper, where his brother waits, and Tyler with an unconscious Caroline in his arms. Blood stains Damon's face, hands, clothes, everything. And bodies litter the ground. I try to ignore them.

"What was that?" Stefan asks stiffly. "I'm a witch." Damon sighs. "Thank goodness. I was beginning to think you were completely useless." Stefan sends him a glare. "What kind of witch?" I hesitate. "Siphon. I can take magic. But I have none of my own. I think." Damon scans me with renewed interest.

"So what are you Sparky? Some kind of, super-witch?"Okay, he's seriously insensitive. But I suppose that's obvious from the way he's causally peeling bits of skin off of him. "Whatever you are, you need to control it. You almost killed that guy." Stefan cuts in. I scoff. "Kinda self-righteous, don't you think? That guy was going to kill Caroline. And anyway, I didn't."

Stefan just shakes his head. "Why do you get to tell me what to do, anyway?" I look at Tyler for help, but he stays silent. Whatever. I'm over this.

~~~

PRESENT

"So what is it that you needed my help for?" I question as I slide up onto a barstool. "I need your rogue magic. I need to take down a friend of mine. Luca."

"Tell me more."

~~~