014.

"I'm gonna call Damon and tell him Elijah's plan. Are you gonna be okay?" Bonnie asks me. I nod and try to keep a straight face so that I betray nothing of my plan. If I play my cards right, no one will even know I was gone. I mean, it's not like I'm committing a crime or anything. But I doubt my dad will be wanting me to dig up old skeletons out of the closet.

It's just, if she has an official obituary saying she's dead, where will I find her? She most likely has a new name. I'll have to narrow it down significantly. There's only about over a billion female names. Right. I ponder, then finally cave. I can't do this alone. And I highly doubt any of the people in this little 'Scooby gang' would have any idea where to start.

But, wait. Maybe there's one. One of the the only real mature people around here. Professor Saltzman. He's an adult, and more likely has way more resources than me. And I know how to get into contact with him. Damon Salvatore. The two have a strange dynamic. They seem to hate each other but simultaneously tolerate each other. There's an unknown tension there, perhaps something that happened in the past?

Regardless, I decide to go to the Salvatore house. Immediately, I can tell something is off. There's a mess in the hallway. I know for a fact that Damon dislikes messes he didn't make himself. I keep walking though, and decide to call out to see if anyone is home, if I didn't think it was weirder that their door was already unlocked.

But they were vampires, and nearly indestructible. No other vampire can cross the threshold without permission, and no human can cross without leaving a scent. "Damon?" I call out. Big mistake. Huge. Because the only beings that can cross a threshold, and be a threat to vampires at the same time, is werewolves. A man rounds the corner, and grabs my wrist.

I try to siphon him by beating his shoulder to let me go, but nothing. Radio silence. Seriously?! It only works when I don't want it to. He drags me into the room. My stomach lurches at the sight. Damon is chained up in a chair, complete with some kind of torture device, featuring a collar with miniature spikes sticking into his neck.

I might not like the man, but he doesn't deserve to be tortured so vile-like. Is that what we are? Savages? The more I learn about my heritage, the more I wish I had just kept my mouth shut. I hate thinking that I'm apart of their subspecies. Damon rolls his eyes at the sight of me. "Wow, impeccable timing Sparky! Say, why don't you come and help me out of these chains? Oh, wait."

I stare at him and disbelief. How can he seriously be cracking jokes as he's being tortured? Of all the people I swear.... "This is on you. I'm just in the wrong place at the wrong time." I warn. "That, you are. She's one of us. Tie her up. Don't want her running her mouth to Daddy. And watch her hands. She's some kind of witch." Jules directs the man. Dammit! Of all the rotten luck.

Not that it's gonna make much difference. I can't figure out how to make my powers work. The man winds a rope around my hands in a looping motion and fastens them tightly. Great. Now, I really am useless. He shoves me to the floor and I shoot off a glare. Then I notice a body and nearly leap away. Mr. Saltzman's eyes stare glassily at the ceiling, unmoving.

I begin gasping. Damon must hear my wheezes because he looks my way, and sends me a strangely intense look. He clearly wants to say something, but doesn't. "So, I hear you have the moonstone." Jules says. Damon only laughs painfully. "If you only knew the irony in this moment right now." He pants. "Let me tell you how this is gonna go. You're gonna torture me, I'm not gonna talk. Someone is gonna lose a heart. Last time it was your boy Mason."

I can tell he's struck a nerve, because the male holding Damon's chains stiffens up and a sneer curls his lip. He grips Damon's chains harder. Jules steps closer, with a calm face, but I can tell her eyes are furious. "This time, it'll be you." She nods at the male, who yanks on Damon's chains. I turn my head quickly, and grit my teeth together as Damon's groans grow louder and louder whilst the stakes dig into his skin.

My fingernails leave crescent moon shapes in my palm. His groans quiet but I still don't turn. Jules moves something into her hands. "Where's the moonstone?" She asks again. Damon shrugs as nonchalantly as possible, but his face contorts in pain. "Looking for this?" A voice sounds. My head snaps up. Elijah stands, poised in the doorway. The werewolves whip around as well.

They all stand perfectly silent as he steps down the mini staircase and holds it up. Then he sets on the table in front of him. I just stare. The hell is he doing? He stiffens when he sees me, and narrows his eyes. "Come and get it then." He waves a hand. The first werewolf to try is the one who tied me up. As if it's a game, Elijah rips his heart out and tosses it to the side without ever moving a step.

I want to look away, but I can't. Two others come, and are felled just as casually. Jules runs away. Figures. Coward. The remaining cowers beneath Elijah and covers his head with his arms. "What about you, sweetheart?" He stares down at the man, challenging him. Something about it awakens a deep, primal feeling in me. I brush it back. It's totally sadistic.

He helps the man up by his shirt, who can't even make eye contact with him. If this was a cartoon, his knees would be knocking together. "You want to try?" Elijah asks in a low, menacing voice. Again, that strange feeling. I'm bewildered. Am I...attracted to him?! No. I couldn't possibly be. "Where's the girl?" Damon shrugs.'"I dunno."

Instead of like the others, he snaps the man's neck quickly. It gives me a strange sense of peace. What's wrong with me? Now I'm justifying murder? Murder is murder, no matter how 'nice' it's done, or how much it's deserved. Elijah elects to help me up first. "Amelia." I wince. His hands wrap around mine, seeing as how I really can't get up by myself with them bound.

"It's really just Mia." I say, over my embarrassment of the usage of my full name. He raises his brows. "As you wish, Mia." The sound of my name on his lips sends a thrill through me. Elijah gently undoes the ropes, tugging on them. But of course that's unnecessary. Can he not just use his super strength to rip them off? I half expect Damon to snap at him to hurry up, but for once he's silent. No quips. No sarcasm. It's kind of unnerving.

Elijah finishes, dropping my hands slowly. But that's probably just wishful thinking. He rips Damon's chains up easily. Damon keeps his eyes on Elijah, all the while. And with a strange heated look. Elijah jerks the collar, and drops the chains at Damon's feet. Then he flips his hair out of his eyes. "That's the third time I've saved your life." He spares me one last incredulous look, then grabs the moonstone, and leaves.

"A little help, Sparky?"

                                           ~~~