011.

Eveything turns out to be a lot, to say the least. But I'm grateful now that I know. It kind of makes me feel strange though, sitting in my friend's house, who isn't even there, talking to her little brother for answers. A friend I've known less than a week. Maybe Bonnie is the one I should be speaking to instead. My 'gift' hasn't hurt anyone yet, but I'll feel a lot better knowing I can use it for good.

Problem is, I don't know where the Bennett witch is. Not even an address or legal guardian. It's frustrating. Instead, I hail a cab to the Salvatore mansion. Surely one of them must have an answer. When I get there, a stench wafts out of the house. Like rotting. But the house itself is far from it. In all its grandeur, it stands two stories high, complete with stained glass windows, and probably a number of expensive things decorating the interior.

To further my inference, the house has a fancy knocker and doorbell. I choose the doorbell. There's some stomping on the other side, before a weary Damon Salvatore answers the door. "What is it Sparky? This had better be important, I have other stuff going on." He says, irritably. "Is Elena here?" He frowns, creasing his forehead more than it already is.

I notice beads of sweat on his face. "Yeah. But I wouldn't bother her. Elena and my brother are busy, canoodling." At that, he flashes me a tight-lipped grimace, mockingly. "Damon. Let her in." Elena's voice says. He sighs and moves aside. For the first time, I catch my first real look at Stefan Salvatore. I'm not sure what I was expecting.

6'7 with tattoos? Maybe a piercing cold demeanor with ice blue eyes? It's certainly not a brunette teenage boy with a reassuring smile and eyes. He stands with a different ease from Damon, but still slightly tense. His hair is spiked up, with gel probably. His face scans me questioningly. "This is the girl Elijah carted away."

I groan. "I have a name you know. It's Amelia. But call me Mia. Why does everybody keep referring to me as 'the girl Elijah kidnapped'? Did you seriously never notice me walking around school before him? Jeez. It's almost like the rest of the people on Earth don't matter, and you're the only ones who exist." Stefan's mouth twists into a pursed frown.

Uncomfortable and knowingly. Perhaps they are aware that the world practically revolves around them and only them. The rest of us are irrelevant because we're not essential to what's going on in their lives? Whatever. I turn to leave, but a low moan sounds. "Damon?" A small voice says. He curses and slams the door shut. "Hold on, Rose." Then he's off, shooting me a glare.

Stefan shakes his head. "Don't worry, he's like that with everyone, especially with what's going on." Elena leans in. "Rose got bit." She whispers solemnly. "I heard that!" Damon calls out. She rolls her eyes. "Good!" Rose, as in, kidnapper Rose? "Bit by what?"

"A werewolf. Last night was the full moon, and a wolf broke in." My eyebrows raise. So I guess it was a good thing I didn't leave Maisie home alone. Maisie. What am I doing here while she could be out on the street, who knows where? "Um, you know what? I have to go. Sorry for wasting your time."

~~~

MAISIE

When I make it the house, the front door is ajar. Frowning, I step in. There's a strange woman. My dad speaks to her in a low tone in the kitchen. About two steps into the house, they stop abruptly. "Later, Jules." My dad says in a cautionary tone. She casts me a look, as if she's sizing me up, and leaves out the back door. "Why's the front door open?" I question.

He laughs and rubs the back of his neck. Nervous. Weird. "Jules. She likes to barge in uninvited." Okay... "Who is she?" For a second, he pales, but smooths his face out. "An employee from work." He says, fluidly. Even weirder. He's lying. Why is he lying about something as simple as this?

I purse my lips but say nothing. "Aren't you gonna ask me where I've been?" An unnaturally high laugh. "No, Mia texted me." My face hardens. Another lie. "Why are you and Mia lying to me?" He freezes. "Don't play dumb. I might be sixteen, but I'm not stupid. You lied about where Mia went. You lied about that woman. You lied about Mia." At that last part, his eyebrows furrow significantly.

"Why didn't you tell us that we were only half? Or, at least her? She deserved to know from you dad, not figuring it out on her own. And thanks to all your secret-keeping, Mia and I got into a big fight. When are you gonna stop acting like a warden and start acting like a father?!" His face turns beet red and I prepare for what he's about to say. Instead, he raises his hand and rears it back.

As it flies through the air and lands on my face, the crack seems to echo. Pain blossoms across my cheek. "DAD!" A shriek sounds. Mia stands in the doorway. She sends him a murderous glare and comes to stand in front of me. "You gonna hit me to?!" He steps back, frustrated and already looking guilty. "Damn it! Neither of you were supposed to know anything." He mutters to himself, pacing.

"I don't need you to protect me." I whisper underneath my breath as she turns away. She whirls around. "Don't. Just don't." Mia stands with her hands on her hips. "Since you want to keep secrets, then here's one. I'm moving out." I'm dumbfounded. "Wait, what?!" Dad's face contorts to one of fury. "Now you listen here-"ALRIGHT!" I shout. "ENOUGH. Let's all calm down, shall we?"

Dad grits his jaw. "I've had enough of being the one unheard in this house. Now, you're both going to listen. How about this, no more secrets, okay? Now both of you tell me what's going on, right now." Mia purses her lips and dad taps his foot, but neither moves to say anything.

"Mais, you'd never believe us if we told you."

"Try me."