Modern Art

Maths was perched upon their chair, hard at work, grading test papers. Their posture was incredibly tense. It was only a matter of time before Art got their message.

They thought they saw a flash of colour that deviated from the grey walls of the classroom. They noticed a painting perched upon the wall... how long had it been there for?

Maths thought for a moment, then realised that must be why Art was missing from her classroom when they planted their message. They slowly got up from their chair to inspect the painting.

At first glance, it looked like a mishmash of colours and shapes. Modern art perhaps? However, when they inspected it further, they noticed some shapes had more distinct outlines than the others.

There was a compound shape made up of one vertical rectangle and two horizontal rectangles on top. A capital "I"!

Next to the "I" was a heart, and below the heart was a "U". The background was made up of overlapping hearts in various colours.

***

Maths ran through the hall to find Art. They couldn't believe it... their heart was in their throat... what if they messed up? What if they upset her?

They noticed Art running towards them just a little too late, and they collided. Art took a few steps back, holding the calculator. It had four sticky notes stacked on top of it, the top one saying "I LOVE U". Was four too many?

They wordlessly walked towards each other, their silence speaking volumes, until they were face to face. Maths removed her glasses before they passionately embraced each other (i'm cringing just writing that, raven's idea not mine).

"Thanks! This'll do so well on ClipClop!" came a yell from above that made Maths stiffen. ClipClop... that white, blue and pink logo of a hoof haunted him every day.

Maths broke away from Art and began to sprint towards the stairs.