Ancient Artefact

"I'm gonna be honest with you."

"Really? Biology? Honest? Never!" PE responded with a chuckle.

Biology stifled her own laugh. He's being a lot easier to get along with now... She thought, though she would never admit it.

"This pinboard looks pretty measly in comparison to PSHE's."

They were sitting around a pinboard on wheels in Music's classroom. They figured that, out of all of their classrooms, Music's classroom would be the most inconspicuous for their schemes.

"Didn't notice." PE replied, turning to the pinboard; it was only covered by pictures of every teacher.

"Sarcasm is my thing." Biology nudged PE.

"Are we sure that we can't tell anybody else about this?" Music managed to get a word in edgewise through Biology and PE's back-and-forth.

"Positive." Biology clarified, barely turning to acknowledge him.

"Sure sure? STEM and Astronomy wouldn't tell anybody, we can trust them, really."

"It doesn't matter how trustworthy your boyfriends are, we need to keep this between us until we know what to do." she replied.

"Fine." he sighed.

The three went back to silently pondering their board.

How could I tell them what I know without revealing too much? Biology closed her eyes and placed her clenched fist against her forehead.

Hmm...

Why does everyone like her so much to begin with? That could be a good starting point...

Biology could only remember going to the counsellor's officer once; it was on her first day at the school; she knew next to no one (apart from Physics and Chemistry, of course) and, though she didn't let it show, she was extremely nervous. More nervous even than Physics was.

She hated meeting new people. She wished that, whenever she was placed in a new environment, she could get an email from the universe, saying something like "don't worry, the people here are pretty cool" or "they're all dumb as rocks. you've got your work cut out for you".

But no. That's not how the world works, unfortunately.

Biology was sitting in the corner of the teacher's lounge, fidgeting. Chemistry and Physics were late. Usually, she was late.

It was too loud. It was too hot.

All too often, she could have sworn someone was staring at her, only to avert their gaze when she looked up.

Once, when she looked up from her intertwined hands, she saw a face, and nearly jumped.

"Hello, dear." The voice creaked. "You look upset. Can I help you?"

"No, I'm fine." Biology had hissed.

"Are you sure, deary? I have cookies~" she chimed.

At the time, Biology wasn't sure if the fossil standing above her was taking the piss, or if this was how she really acted.

"Fine." Biology growled. If she didn't comply, this ancient artefact might never leave her alone.

Biology and PSHE ended up in the counsellor's office, where they ate cookies and sipped tea wordlessly for a while before PSHE spoke up.

"You know, I know you're nervous; most of us are, really. After all, it's everyone's first day. But the only way to conquer a fear is to face it head on. You'll need to talk to your colleagues on your own someday. Delaying it doesn't help you."

Biology didn't say anything, but she was secretly grateful for everything PSHE had given her; from the advice to the cookies.

PSHE had been the closest thing to a grandmother figure Biology had ever had; one of her grandmothers had died just before she was born, and the other was a miserable old coot. Her mothers didn't take Biology to visit her very often, for obvious reasons.

So, Biology concluded, everyone likes her because she understands, she's sympathetic, she lends an ear...

But she also has a way with words.

She's able to convince you of things you never thought you would ever believe.

After she told me that... were any of my thoughts my own?

"That's how she gets everyone on her good side." she said out loud. "She messes with their minds until none of their thoughts are their own."

PE nodded after a while, looking deep in thought, as if he'd made a daunting realisation.

"Who was PSHE's last client?" Music asked.

"I think it was..." Biology droned, wracking her brains.

Her heart leaped, and hit the ground with a thwack, shattering into a billion pieces.

"Oh no, oh no..."

A/N: DING DONG, THE WICKED WRITERS' BLOCK IS DEAD! Sorry that it was only two chapters, I tried to make them longer than usual chapters to
make up for it :>