The Fires of Revolution

Emma quickly changed her mind on stopping for an evening snack after observing more knights patrolling the streets. She didn't acknowledge them, keeping her eyes in front of her  walking proudly with purpose. Relief swept over her when they left the town, stepping onto the dirt path leading to home.

That'll be the last time I head into town for a while. Emma thought to herself. Unless I'm helping Mom with house calls. Besides there's not much reason to, vampires are more scarce nowadays. There's probably one every few months prowling around town. Richter and I've done too good of a job.

"What was it like being in the American revolution?" Maria asked, her temper simmered off and she was genuinely curious about her veteran relative.

"It was.....many things." Emma answered plainly. "There was a lot of work to be done. A lot of traveling, roughing it out, and a lot of fighting." She patted her hilt. "This sword has tasted enough human blood for a lifetime."

"You fought?" Maria's eyes widened. "In actual battle?"

"Yes."

"I thought you helped out with the other women in the army!"

"I did ." Emma replied. " I wasn't allowed to fight, but I still saw action. When I wasn't helping out on the battlefield, I acted as a night watch killing intruding vampires picking for a snack on our patriots. Vampires always exploit human conflicts, and this was no exception. The British employed marauders to pick off soldiers while they slept, and to stir fear in our ranks, lowering morale. There were many night guards throughout the Continental army, the majority being hunters like Richter, but I knew  a vampire who was on our side."

"A vampire fought with the patriots?" Maria gawked surprised.

"Yes." Emma smiled. "He was like Vance; a vampire who kept his humanity and fought for the same freedoms.He stuck with me throughout the whole war. We were odd birds of a feather who flocked together."

Emma never forgot him after all this time, and regretted not seeing him again before leaving for Europe. She thought about him often and wondered how he was doing. If only there were a way to contact friendly vampires as easily as earthly angels.

"Honestly, there were only two battles I fought in. The Battle of Monmouth in New Jersey during the summer of 1778. I wasn't intending to draw my sword in that one, my friend needed help manning the cannons and I defended her. And then Yorktown, the penultimate battle in the fall of 1781. That was the one I truly fought as a soldier."

Emma felt her glyphs prickle and her heart uptick." We finally won after that..." She clenched her fists. "But I lost everything." She vividly remembered finding him mortally wounded on the battlefield. Her husband reborn only to die in her arms.

"You must have so many stories to tell." Maria marveled at her.

"I do." Emma's voice and gaze drifted away. But I'm not ready to tell them...not yet.Not now.

Emma paused, raising her head to the smoke coming from Tera's chimney and sniffing the air. Her descendant was cooking again, she wondered how she could afford enough food to feed a hearty meal. It wouldn't surprise me if Jocasta is helping her out as she is with Mom. That angel had a big heart and an equally sized purse.

"Don't tell my mother about the knights." Maria whispered to Emma.

"I won't have to." Emma stared rigidly at the Abbot speaking with Tera at the door. The two turned around and gazed surprised at the two returning mages. Tera raced to her daughter, hugging Maria tightly as if she survived a vampire attack. "Thank the ancestors you are all right. Are you hurt?" She brooded over Maria like a hen.