6

"Wait so he cut off his own foot" Ben asked Miranda in disbelief about her day

"You know what they say about Halloween" She laughed

"Well try not to let the crazies keep you from our trick-or-treating tonight"

"Ben I will be there okay? I gave you my word we'd take the kids out"

"A surgeon's word is as good as a fake dollar bill when it comes to getting off work" He chuckled

"I have to finish this paperwork thanks to the foot guy and then I will be out of here to see our kids in their costumes"

"You better"

"Gotta go" She hung up the phone

"Our kids" Richard walked up to her

"Sir" She was startled by him " I meant that in the sense of my son and his daughter. We are all going trick-or-treating together. Ben and Delilah are a beekeeper and a bee. Tuck and I are a paleontologist and a dinosaur."

"That's going to be adorable Bailey" he smiled

"Ben's idea. Not mine. I don't see the hype about this holiday but Ben is crazy about it"

"Well, it's your kid's first one. That's a big deal and you both have been through a lot so it's nice that you guys are finding something to celebrate" He nodded

"Well I have paperwork to do about a man who cut off his foot with a chainsaw" She sighed

"I heard about that" He nodded

"Grey is walking around with her mom in a ziplock bag. Do something about that" She walked away. As the day progressed Miranda found herself swamped with work, the demands of her job pulling her in multiple directions. Despite her best intentions to join Ben and their children for trick-or-treating, she lost track of time, immersed in a flurry of tasks. She had to get the paperwork done and then Grey came around with a little boy trick or treating for pro bono ear surgery how could she say no to that?

Hours passed in a blur, and by the time Miranda glanced at the clock, it was already late evening. A sinking feeling washed over her as she realized she had missed their planned Halloween outing. Miranda dialed Ben's number she hoped he would understand.

"As good as a fake dollar" He answered the phone

"I'm sorry I was helping with a pro bono surgery and lost track of time"

"You did a pro bono surgery" He asked

"Yeah ear reconstruction"

"You built a boy's ears for Halloween" The disappointment in his voice turned into intrigue

"Wait you're not upset I missed trick or treating. This is your holiday and I gave you my word. I'm a horrible best friend and I can't believe I missed my son's first Halloween. That's like a big no-no as a mom, right? Missing holidays"

"Miranda relax the kids fell asleep 30 minutes in and I came back home" He chuckled " They won't even remember this Halloween. But you built ears and you'll remember that and the boy will remember that. Tell you what. Come to my place. We can drink cider and watch movies to finish out Halloween and eat all the candy our kids can't have"

"Deal" She hung up the phone. She saw George sitting on the bench and she sat down next to him. "O'Malley"

"Hi. We just put a man's daughter's heart in his chest"

"His daughter's heart? Well, that just makes you want to throw up, now doesn't it? You all right?" She sat down next to him

"You're Dr. Bailey. You hear everything. And if you haven't heard everything, I'm sure you've heard."