11

"They're fighting over you" Ben laughed over their lunch

"I needed a break from peds and Richard is laying the general surgery life on thick" She laughed

"Yeah how are you doing after Jessica" He asked. He had comforted her after the death of her patient. She took it pretty hard because there wasn't anything she could do aside from holding the little girl all day. She came over to his place after that cuddled up next to Tuck and Delilah and cried all day. That day she had decided she didn't want to be anywhere near peds. But Ben told her that she probably made that little girl's last moments less scary. She comforted her and held her all day. It was a great sacrifice on her part and he wasn't sure what other doctor would have done that. She took his encouragement and decided to stay the course and pursue peds.

"I am doing okay. It was a tough case but that's being a surgeon. You have tough cases" She nodded

"And you have good cases too, so that's important to remember" He kissed Delilah's cheek "The good helps the bad"

"True" She smiled and kissed Tuck's cheek

"So do you think Leo Is enough to take you away" He asked her referencing the robot Richard tried to bribe her with

"I'm still on the peds train. This was a nice break but a helpful doctor has been cheering me on and supporting me"

"Aww me"

"Robbins" She glanced at him

"What" He choked on his soda causing her to laugh

"Yeah, you" She nodded

"I was about to say" He wiped his mouth with his napkin "I have sacrificed sleeping horizontally across my bed because you've been spending the night after our long night talks more often"

"Hey I always offer to sleep elsewhere" She laughed

"I'm not going to make my best friend sleep on a couch" He shrugged "You can stay in the bed but I'm going to start charging therapy fees"

"You're better than my therapist anyway" She laughed " Might consider giving you what I pay her"

"How's that going anyway" He asked

"Pretty good actually. I don't randomly cry. I have accepted he is gone and I'll have to tell Tuck about him. I think I'm at peace with his loss now" She nodded "I'm starting to see some progress. And having you by my side makes it a little bit easier"

Miranda's words touched Ben deeply, stirring up a whirlwind of conflicting emotions within him.

"You have no idea how much your support means to me, Ben. Having you around always makes me feel better." She gave him a light pat on his hand.

It was getting harder to hide his feelings. Especially considering their friendship had gotten to the point where it seemed as if they were dating. They spent most of their free time together. She spent the night at his home. In his bed. A few times they've even woke up with their arms wrapped around each other.

Ben's breath caught in his throat, the intensity of his emotions threatening to overwhelm him. He longed to tell Miranda the truth, to confess the depth of his love for her, but the fear of rejection held him back. With a heavy heart, Ben forced a smile.

"I'll always be here for you, Miranda. No matter what."

"Welp as much as I love lunch with my best friend there's work to be done"

"One more thing"

"Yes," She asked

"How's Izzie" He asked