Chapter 5 - Here Comes the Pain

The cell phone rang with one of Eminem's songs set as a ringtone. Sid was sleeping on his bed, feeling the caress of fluffy square-shaped pillow pressed against his cheek. Although it was his favorite song, it appeared like hundreds of crows and frogs croaking at once. That song was snatching his precious sleep away from him.

He wrapped his ears with a thick blanket, but after a while, he took it off. Getting up from the bed was tough as deserting one's beloved person in the middle of a hot and heavy situation. It was Ravi calling, "Yeah, what's up?"

"You're still sleeping?" Ravi said on the phone while surfing the Internet.

"Yup, I am. And guess what? No one gives a damn." Sid dripped with sarcasm and formed a smirk on his sleepy face while running fingers through his disheveled hair.

"I got something to tell you that will bounce your ass off the bed in a snap..." Ravi abruptly stopped, just to play with Sid's patience as well as anticipation, "Get ready for high school results."

After listening about the declaration of result day, Sid jumped off the bed. Ravi continued telling him that the website will be available after 12:30 PM, and only through the cyber cafe.

There was no cybercafe in Raj's residential area, so he was coming to their place. Ravi also said that Raj quit the job because he was unable to keep up with the expectations of the manager. This news surprised Sid a bit. Raj left his job, why!? Because he believed Raj wasn't the guy who would give up so easily.

But there were more important things to do for now; Sid aborted the call and rushed down to the hallway from his attic room. He alerted his mom about an online declaration of high school exam results. As expected from a normal mother, she became more tensed than Sid.

Within fifteen minutes, Sid came out from the bathroom and wrapped up the lower part of his body with a long towel. Without wasting a single second, he quickly wore his casual clothes. By that time, Ravi and Raj were standing outside his house, calling him to come out. Sid hastily came outside of his home.

"Let's go fast, only ten minutes left for the declaration," Raj said.

Three of them started heading towards the cybercafe; their eyes were ready to cry a river if anything undesirable happens. Sid ran his hand through his thick black hair; it was still wet because he didn't get enough time to air-dry his hair. "Guys, I want a separate computer. I don't have Wi-Fi connection from some days, or else I would have checked the result in my laptop."

In the meantime, they reached a cybercafe. Thanks to the good Lord that they were able to acquire three separate PCs. And in no time, they started surfing about the online declaration website. It was already 12:40 PM. Sid, Ravi, and Raj altogether entered their respective exams code number.

The loading wheel started spinning, and their heartbeats began to throb like a bullet bike. At first, Raj's result displayed fifty-eight percentage and passed (note: in India, there is this percentage system, not grading one). After him, Ravi's result appeared, he obtained forty-two percent and passed.

The loading wheel, however, was still rotating on Sid's computer screen. Nightmares of flunking out hovered in his mind, his palms become sweaty, and hands and legs become shaky. While the air conditioner was doing its work, still sweat beads collected on his forehead, rolling down from his temple.

On the other hand, Ravi and Raj were jumping and dancing in happiness. Sid darted his eyes on them. They say it hurts when our friend fails in the examination. But it hurts like hell if our all friends passed except us.

Sid was about to explode like a volcano; however, instead of lava, painful tears would erupt. But a friend in need is a friend indeed. His two friends laid their eyes on him. Sid punched the computer screen. Good, it didn't crack. "This bloody dumb box isn't loading."