Chapter 24 - Service to Humanity

Sid was peacefully dreaming. In his dream all of a sudden he heard a crying voice, bewilderment plastered on his face. Eventually, he realized it was a sobbing voice of his mom. Slowly, slowly the crying sound became audible to his gross senses.

Sid woke up from his dreaming state and darted his eyes here and there. He caught sight of his mom sitting near his thighs, crying. He quickly hoisted himself up.

"Hey! Why are you crying mom?" he said in a voice as if for the first time he has seen her weeping. There will be hardly any guy in the world, who can see his mother shedding tears, Sid was no exception.

Neha handed him that cellphone to Sid and gestured him to watch the video. It was Pratham's cellphone, and there was a video playing in it. As he finished watching it, a ripple of shock choked his throat. Because in the video, Pratham was with his friends; smoking cigarettes and consuming alcohol. He shot a glance back at his mom, he was speechless and could understand how she must have felt.

******

After sorting the things out between his mom and elder brother. Next morning, Sid went to the college. There he got to know that Raj has registered him and Ravi for NSS (National Service Scheme) camp. At first, Sid denied coming. But when he came to know that Sara and Nehali are also coming, he instantaneously agreed. Indeed, he's an opportunist.

The camp conducted by social welfare relief program for slums residents: poor boys and girls for two days. Students from every stream were going to provide aid. A social activist name, Raghu Sen, was the man behind this whole project who was maintaining and directing it. His followers revered him as an altruistic person. With his tireless effort and resolute determination, he created an anti-alcoholic shot that turned the whole slum area alcoholic free within two years, which was a major problem there.

Raghu received many awards for his grand achievement in social activism. All colleges were helping him to accomplish this project. So this time, NSS group of Sid's college were providing support, headed by Prof. Khera.

*****

Next day, all students gathered at the college premises. Raj, Ravi, Jayashri, and Sid were in one group. Sara left her friend circle to join Sid's team because his company was more alluring to her. Not only she came along, but she tagged Nehali along with her to join them. Sara had promised Sid that she would act as a bridge between him and Nehali. (Raise your hand if you want a friend like Sara.)

There were about thirty students. Most of them were from science and commerce stream. A little later, one big luxurious bus arrived at the college premises. Many students attacked the bus to acquire window seats. Following them, Prof. Khera and his few assistant.

Being an Indophile, Khera parted girls on the left side and boys one the right. This act certainly got on most of the people's nerves.

Thus, the journey began.

Leaving behind the city of dreams, Mumbai. The slum town was very far away from the urban area. One hour passed. Ravi and Raj went backseats to play games with others classmates whereas Sid preferred to get some sleep. A boy name, Pratik came and sat on an empty seat, and he shook Sid's shoulder. Of course, Sid felt like to whack Pratik for waking him up.

"Why you're sleeping when everyone around you is enjoying?" Pratik asked he sounded friendly.

"Thanks for asking. Actually, I haven't got enough sleep last night."

The actual intention of Pratik was to get closer to Sara through him, "Dude! Can you give me the phone number of Sara?"

"Why? I can't. You better ask her—" All of a sudden, something struck Sid's mind, "Okay, I see why in the world you interrupted my precious sleep. Get lost! And let me have a catnap." He folded his hands, while he let loose his body and he closed his eyes to sleep.