Chapter 48 - Moments of Bhakti

Everything seems to make perfect sense now, Sid thought. Although he got answers for his all questions, The Krishna Love, was still inaccessible for him. He was sitting on marble stairs; it was cold as ice because of the dawn. 4:15 a.m., these numbers displayed on his digital watch. His right hand was inside a bead bag—softly trying to chant Hare Krishna mantra—and left hand was inside his jean's pocket.

You may become the world's greatest scholar in the future, but if you don't have the love for God. You're good for nothing. He remembered these words of Braja that have deeply moved him.

He was waiting for Braja who has invited him in the temple to attend morning chanting.

"Hare Krishna!" Braja broke Sid's reverie.

Sid greeted the same with a muffled voice that even a wax moth couldn't hear. He got up and shook hands with his mentor, who said: "Let's go. I'm glad you came, I thought you wouldn't come this early."

Only a smile was the response from Sid. Both of them headed to the temple hall. It was the time for Mangal Aarti which is a devotional prayer offered to Lord Krishna every morning at 4.00 a.m.

As Sid stepped into the temple hall, his eyes lit up because of chandelier's light. He felt like stepping into the spiritual world. The whole atmosphere was transcendental and ecstatic. The lead singer was singing the prayer in a melodious voice. Devotees were singing and dancing rhythmically—males on the left, females on the right. The fragrance of incense was all pervading. Nothing could've been blissful than this.

It was four past thirty. Now it was the time for the most exciting moment of the day. All the devotees gathered near the altar to caught a glimpse of Krishna's deity. Sid felt his heartbeat raced up because it was the first sighting of Krishna's deity. Curiosity flooded his heart.

At first, an enchanting voice of conch shells reverberated the temple hall; it was a song. For about ten seconds there was pin drop silence. When the song started simultaneously the doors of the altar pulled open, inside were the all-attractive deities of Radha and Krishna. A stream of tears rolled down from Sid's cheeks as his cast eyes on the deities; he could believe how it happened. No idea. A chasm of devotion for the first time struck his heart. Maybe because of the song. Govindam Adi Purusam Tam Aham Bhajami were the lyrics.

Many devotees started dancing in ecstasy, but Sid stood motionless like a statue, from his left and right side expert dancers made their way. But neither he moved, nor anyone pushed him. His eyes saw nothing but the deities. Although he was speechless, his expression spoke a lot. He experienced an uncontrolled flow of tears. Is this what Braja meant The Krishna Love?

When the song ended, he unconsciously prostrated on the floor to set a prayer. It's a long, long, long time. How could I ever have lost you? So many years I was searching. I'm back, Krishna. I surrender myself unto You. Please accept me as Your servant. Make me stay! Please, make me stay! I don't wanna go back. His tears dropped on the marble floor.

Little did he know Lord Krishna wanted to test him.

****

After having delicious lunch, Sid went to Youth Forum to complete Mahabharat book reading which he had borrowed from Braja. He was on the part where the battle between Pandavas and Kauravas was about to begin. It took him three hours to complete the whole war sequence. He tirelessly and uninterruptedly read and finished the whole book.

But one disturbing thing cropped up. The queries about Krishna's conspiracies muddled his mind with skepticism. How can Krishna be so cunning? He should have used fair means to win the battle. After all, He's God; He can do anything. Let's face it; Sid doubted if Krishna is God.