Chapter 40 - Bhagavad Gita As It Is

"Why you want to go to a temple!? Go alone, I'm not coming with you," Ravi burst out. Because Sid was stubborn like a preteen. Let's go to a temple, this was something unaccustomed among youths, but now the same sentence he'd heard from his best friend's mouth.

Actually, Ravi couldn't make head or tail of Sid's desire to visit a temple. His excuses were, religious places are not holy place anymore, where there's huge inflow of wealth as donations in the name of God. Illogical rituals, getting stuck with externals, pray-pay-obey concept, bigotry, fanaticism, and terrorism. On top of that, religious leaders are shams and money-grubbers.

Ravi didn't have a good opinion anything related to God or religion after having unpleasant experiences from bigots like Nikhil and Raj. But after catching a glimpse of unflinching determination displayed by Sid, he even came up with true life incident. Back in his native place, there was one religious leader, who claimed himself to be God. That so-called God told Ravi to bow down before him, but Ravi wasn't the guy who would give in to such bogus God, he rejected it bluntly. Just because he denied to do that, his family later tongue-lashed him like anything.

But still, Sid was determined. "Hold your horses, cause I just wanna buy a Bhagavad Gita. We're not departing to the Himalayas, alright?"

Ravi's heart skipped a beat with the thought of, what will people of this world think about them? Two teenagers in a temple? For what reasons they come before God? Probably teenagers go to God, a day before exams result; or to seek divine intervention for fulfilling their love interest. These are two major factors when a teenager approach a temple (Yeah, but nowadays Pokemon Go brought in third factor: Pokestop). Since they say jo dar gaya, wo mandir gaya which means: only those people who are scared goes to the temple.

Now come to think of it. Sid mulled over his reason for going to the temple. Fear? No, he doesn't even fear his dad. Desire? Probably he has every luxury in his life. Duty? Technically, he didn't even know what his duty towards God. Love? Well... How can he love someone whom he didn't know at all? Therefore, he concluded, Bhagavad Gita could dispel his all queries. And the temple is the right place to get that.

"But why don't you buy it from any library or bookshop?" Ravi suggested. Let's cut to the chase, Ravi was a staunch follower of PK the alien protagonist from an Indian movie, who challenged all religious leaders and proved how all religions and people related to them are hoodlums, so better maintain your distance from them. And believe it, PK was the highest grossing Bollywood movie ever, which Ravi appreciated from the depth of his heart.

Obviously, Sid had done some research on the best version of Bhagavad Gita. After hours of research and contemplation, he found out Bhagavad Gita As It Is by A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, is the best-selling edition and about more than sixty million copies sold out so far, and translated into sixty languages.

Apart from that, the commentator himself was a great devotee of Lord Krishna. In 1965, at the advanced age of sixty-nine, Srila Prabhupada departed to America in a cargo ship in order to spread the teachings of Lord Krishna. In the middle of the journey, he was struck with two heart attacks. But somehow or other he recovered, and never gave up. And as they say, God helps them who help themselves. Within the span of twelve years, he turned millions of people around the world-Krishna conscious.

Krishna consciousness, this word particularly enamored Sid's mind.

Sid rose up from his seat. His eyes lit up as a confident grin beamed across his face. With a galvanizing voice he spoke up, "Here's the deal. We go to a temple, grab one copy of Bhagavad Gita, and bolt out like the wind."

Ravi responded with an "hmm" while stroking his chin. Although he despised this plan, but now there was no escape. If possible Ravi would even disguise himself, so that he may not run into a relative or someone. Because the place was such a drag for him where Sid was taking him to. At last, he stood up from his seat and smoothen wrinkles of his sleeves. "Phew! Let's go."