chapter 18 | ᴊᴇᴏɴɢɪɴ ɢᴇᴛs ᴀ ᴄᴀʟʟ

-ᴍᴏɴᴅᴀʏ-
narrator
'You will listen to me and marry her, Kim Seungmin!'

seungmin grimaced, opening his mouth to fire back a retort, before he was rudely interrupted by someone, no - something, outside.

'dring, dring, ring! dring, dring, ri-'

'shit!' jeongin hissed in alarm as his head snapped down at the phone he was clutching, not expecting it to ring loudly, especially when he was in such an awkward situation.

he fumbled for his phone as his clammy fingers darted around the device's plastic sides, nails feeling around desperately for the volume button.

'shut up, shut up, shut up!'

jeongin muttered profanities under his breath, biting his lip in concentration until the iron taste of blood had spread all over his mouth. glancing up at the VIP room - which had suddenly quietened down - beads of cold sweat started to form on jeongin's brow. it was so quiet, jeongin was sure they could hear his heavy intakes of breath.

'Is someone eavesdropping on us? Carmen, if you would make yourself useful and check the door for us.'

carmen grunted as he shifted towards the door, his expression stoic as ever. he reminded seungmin of the gray faced emoji, the gravel one that constantly looked bored and slightly annoyed. the boy would have burst out laughing, if not for what he heard outside the door - he knew he found the ringtone familiar, and might have even heard it once or twice before...

both boys didn't know this, but separated by a thin piece of wood, both of them wore equally worried and frantic expressions, for the same reasons.

what was seungmin's dad going to do if he found his roommate listening in on their conversation?

jeongin bolted as soon as he heard the door click. he darted out of the VIP alcove and ran straight for the restaurant's backdoor, which in jeongin's haste, seemed like a much closer escape route compared to the main one.

unfortunately, it was not his day. the boy first tripped over a mop bucket, causing its contents - gray, murky water - to spill around his pristine white shoes, staining them. he then not-so-graciously slid right into a couple's booth table with an extremely loud yelp.

jeongin landed face first on the table, earning his head a hard knock. a bruise was definitely going to sprout out of his head later, faster than he could yell 'ow'. the couple frowned, chiding jeongin as they shooed him away from their booth.

'what a rascal!'

'get away from us, you punk!'

'he didn't even apologise!'

'what's wrong with you, boy?!'

jeongin stumbled away, dazed from the dull pain in his head that was steadily building up, threatening to topple him over. numerous patrons heard the commotion at the far end of the restaurant, and turned to observe jeongin, including a particular blonde.

...until the blonde realised it was his friend, not a clumsy rando who had no basic manners.

'you-'

'JEONGIN!'

two firm voices rang out into the warm, stuffy air of the diner, startling jeongin as they were both directed at him.

turning around slowly, jeongin's eyes widened as he realised a big, burly man was stomping towards him, his mouth twisted downwards, with beady eyes that were filled with annoyance. jeongin glimpsed felix in the corner of his eye, the blonde clearly confused over what was unfolding in the diner.