The Capital

Koko's new bedchamber was in chaos as attendants buzzed around her, holding one bolt of cloth to her face, then another. Jenkins, the tailor standing in front of her had made her turn slowly as he frowned at her from behind his beak nose.

"Bring me the Ruby red, Clarence." He barked at the little assistant hovering by his shoulder. She immediately sprang into action, grabbing the bolt of cloth and bringing it to Koko's face.

"Yes, that is good." Jenkins mused then barked his next orders.

Before she knew it, Koko had been measured, pinned and adjusted into an existing blue velvet gown. Jenkins sniffed as he walked out, his tone dismissive as he told her he would return once her new gowns were complete. His assistant and attendants left behind him, leaving Koko standing there, her stomach rumbling.

A young page boy knocked, then entered her room.

"Lady Constance, the Archbishop has summoned you to dine with him." He beckoned her to follow him. Koko beamed at him, she was famished. She was also anxious to see the Archbishop again, her cheeks flushing at the memory of the carriage ride.

The dining hall was massive, with a large oak table holding a variety of dishes. Koko's eyes widened as she was led to her seat. The room was empty except for the foot attendants, ready to serve, their faces expressionless. Her eyes caught on the feast laid down on the table and a grin threatened to overtake her face.

Succulent meats, pies, roasted vegetables and pastries piled high. As she sat down, her eyes wandered down, indecisive on what to try first. As she lifted her hand to pick up a meat pie, the attendant behind her cleared his throat, coughing.

She pulled her hand away and sat back demurely. She understood to await the Archbishop. She didn't have to look up to realize he had entered the room. The atmosphere became charged, every attendant standing up straighter than before, a forbidding feeling overcoming her as she glanced to her right, where the Archbishop came to sit at the head of the table. She had been placed to the left of him, within reach of his long arms.

She sprang to her feet, curtsying in greeting. The Archbishop ignored her as he began to eat. Confused, she tentatively nibbled at the meat pie that she had her eye on. Her eyes rolled back and she closed her eyes in ecstacy as the flavours burst on her tongue. She was used to the simple meals of the convent - porridge, bread, and cheese mostly. They rarely served meat.

When the Archbishop raised his eyebrow, she realized she had moaned out loud. She clapped a hand on her mouth as she finished chewing.

"I apologize, your Excellency." She murmured a minute later, behind her hand.

"I see the food is to your liking." The Archbishop replied. His voice was cold and unfriendly, but Koko believed that may be just his countenance and not necessarily how he wanted to treat her. She beamed at him.

"Oh yes, this is lovely. The best meal I have ever had."

They continued eating in silence before the Archbishop pushed his plate away, and took a sip from his wine cup. After a moment, he spoke. She froze mid-bite, hyper aware of him. Now that her belly was nearly satisfied, she pondered what he meant to do with her.

"You will have many more meals like this, Constance. But it can all end in a blink if you do not do your part for the Church." The Archbishop began.

Koko looked up worried, the piece of steak she had just swallowed in a hurry making her cough. Gulping from the wine cup placed before her, she cleared her throat. She turned imploring eyes to the bishop.

"Your Excellency, I will do anything in my power for the Church. I am to be a nun -" the Archbishop lifted a hand to halt her words.

"It is a little too late to serve God in such a capacity, Constance, as you well should know by now."