chapter 8 - a bit mean

Weeks.

Weeks go by like a flash.

In a blink of an eye, it feels like nothing but yet. I felt it.

Through atoms and atoms, everything will freeze and the only thing that matters.

Is you.

The weeks I had lived, was a reminder of what it was to be unearthed within yourself.

Friendships with the girls had always been the same and yet, nothing of significance towards the progress of it had developed.

Haneul - oppa?

Haneul's head laid on my lap with the both of us reading books on the couch, the sunshine beaming on our shadows being casted on the floor

Y/N - yeah?

I glance at her, putting my book down slightly to fully look at her

Haneul - so, why does Suzy-sunbaenim stay here with you again?

Looking past my book. Suze was in a kitchen apron making food for us, not sure on how to answer I looked back down on Haneul

Y/N - you know, I'm not sure. She's just adamant on staying with me

Suzy - I can hear you, you know.

We both softly laugh, the both of us continuing to read.

My focus turned to the pages, my fingers naturally turning as my eyes read the words in detail.

Suzy - I'm glad you're off work Y/N, how'd your first school year go?

Y/N - great. It's been a pleasure to teach them and I'm excited to see my former 11th graders into 12th graders.

Suzy - was it emotional for you to see those 12th graders go?

I was stuck on the pages, only responding to her by my voice without breaking my focus on my book.

Y/N - a little. In the little time I knew them, they were excellent students and even though I'm not permitted to be there on exam day, I just knew they gave it their all and everything on that exam.

Suzy - well, yeah. That exam determines everything in your future

Y/N - is that right?

Haneul hums, responding to me.

Y/N - that is, wildly insane for me to think about.

Suzy - I mean, given the fact you still don't know much about everything here. It's fine for you to be surprised.

Y/N - still am when I find out something new here. It's amazing even.

Turning to the next page of my book, my focus turned to the corner of my eye. I looked up, seeing Suzy from behind. She was happily smiling. It was still odd that she left behind some things just to stay with me.

But I mean, a week from now. She would have to leave the country to go film in another.

Somber, even. But it's a part of the life she chose.

I hear a click of a tongue, making me look down at the person who initiated it.

Haneul - oppa.

Her voice was quiet, making me respond to her quietly as well.

Y/N - hm?

Haneul - you're looking at Suzy-sunbaenim a bit hard.

Y/N - hm what about it?

Haneul - do you like her?

I look up to the ceiling and then back down to her unsure on how to respond while keeping a confused look on my face