Chapter 35

"I think we should go out," I say.

It's my fourth time hanging at Blake's house. I got here late, so it'll be dark soon. The days between the hangouts have dragged on. I'd like to say I've completely lost track of the time since Jennie left, but I'd be lying.

"There's nowhere to go," Blake scoffs.

"We could go to the lake."

"No way."

"Get something to eat?"

"I'm not hungry," she says. "I haven't smoked today. I ran out of weed last night."

"Shit," I say.

"This sucks," she complains. "I hate messing around sober."

I sit up. "Do you want me to go?"

"No, you fucking weirdo," she says. "I know someone. Who sells. We can just go grab some."

"Do you have the money?"

"She owes me a favor. Or a few million, really," she says. "After all, she kept me as a secret for, like, forever."

My eyes widen as she gets up. "Your ex deals weed?"

She grabs her keys off her desk and then her studded wallet.

"You sound so scandalized, Lili-Bear," she mocks. "You're the one who's been smoking up her weed when we hang."

I flush. "It's different."

"So sweet and innocent," Blake laughs. "Come on. Let's corrupt you a little." She holds out a hand and I take it. Because I know she's been hurt, and I know deep down, you don't tell someone the stuff she told me unless you care. Unless you've got wounds you're looking to heal.

Blake blasts her music as we drive twenty over the speed limit, up winding roads we should really be taking slow. My head's spinning by the time she comes to a stop in front of a cluster of dilapidated mobile homes spread across a barren piece of land. The area's been stripped of all trees; a few stumps are the only hint of what came before.

Blake parks in front of a yellow mobile home that has cement blocks for steps.

"That's hers," she says. "I'll go see if she's home. Stay here."

She gets out and heads to the front. I watch her through the windshield, something funny building in my stomach when I notice she doesn't knock on the door. She tries the knob first. Then she turns in a slow circle on the cement-block steps, like she's counting the cars.

Dread rises in my chest. Something's not right here, and I roll down the window. "Hey," I hiss.

Blake's head jerks toward mine and she hurries over to the car. "Keep it down," she says.

"Is she here?" I ask, even though I know the answer.

"Don't think so."

"Should we just go, then?" Please, let's just go. It's like nails are tapping against the back of my neck in warning. My heart's beating like I've been running for miles.

"Nah," Blake says. "I need to smoke. And she owes me."

"Blake!" But she's already heading back toward the mobile home.

I watch as she tries one of the windows and, to my horror, gets it open. Shit. Shit. She's really doing this. She's stealing from her drug-dealer ex. This is insane. This is dangerous. Marco's going to kill me if someone else here doesn't.

My hand closes around the door handle, my thighs tensing, my heart screaming Run, run, run. But there's nowhere to go! We're miles away from anything. I'm stuck. I'm stupid and fucking stuck while this crazy-ass girl pulls risks I'd never—