Chapter 42

To: Lalalalisa_97@aol.com
From: Xx_RubyJane@aol.com

Subject: [UNSENT EMAIL] I'm sorry

Dear Lisa,

I'm sorry. That's the thing I need to say first. I'm sorry about telling Jisoo about your mom. I didn't mean to, but that's not an excuse. I fucked up and I need to own it. I'm sorry. I'm so fucking sorry. I don't think I'm very good at forgiveness ... which means it's kind of messed up that I want yours so bad.

I miss you. I think about you all the time. I can't stop. All I want is to touch you. To kiss you. To lay down in bed with you. I replay moments in my mind—the freckles on your back, the lotion between my fingers.... I wanted to turn around that night, after the party, when we were alone. I wanted to turn and stand there and let you look at me. I wanted you to see all of me as much as I wanted to see you.

I wanted more than that. I wanted everything. I dream about it—waking up tangled with you, and when I wake up and you're not there it's like someone's punched me each time.

I don't know how to do this. I don't know how to want someone so much and not have them and I know you'd laugh. Spoiled little Jennie, not getting what she wants.

But I can't breathe. I can't think.

You make me want to throw my life away, and I can't.

I won't.

But God, do I want to.

-Jennie