Chapter 44

We make a list. Me and Marco. After he picks me up from the side of the road and the whole shit show with Blake, we make a list. It sounds so corny—hell, it is corny. It's corny how excited he is to sit there and make one. And it's maybe a little pitiful that I kind of like that he's excited. But we make a list of stuff to do.

The first thing he puts down is taking me to the Thai grill, which we were supposed to go to when Jennie was still in town. But there's other stuff on the list, too. He puts down Introduce Lisa to The Cardigans, and I put down Introduce Marco to some music written this century. When he puts down Take Lisa to the gem show this fall, I have to ask what that is.

Apparently people sell crystals and gems and stuff at the fairgrounds every year.

"That sounds like the perfect setting for a heist movie," I tell him, and he laughs so hard I think he's faking it, but then it goes on too long to be anything but real. When he's finally done, he dabs at his eyes and shakes his head. "Your mom had a running joke about that because I used to drag her to them."

"No way."

"One time she got really bored because I was taking forever, and she sketched a whole diamond smuggling plan on a napkin. I wish I still had it."

"I don't think the life of diamond thieves is for either of us," I say. "But I'll go to the show with you, if you want."

"I have a feeling you might like the crystal-skull booth."

"There are crystal skulls?" I perk up, and he laughs again, in that way I'm realizing he does when I do something that reminds him of Mom.

Maybe it's not about being mad that he knew a whole different version of her than me. Maybe it's about getting to learn about her through him, and vice versa. Teaching him back. It's all either of us has anymore.

We decide to tackle the first thing on our list—going to the Thai grill that very night. Sra Bua's is the kind of place that bustles, warm and full of the kind of noise that you associate with family. Laughter and claps and the sharp snick of knives and spatulas against the grills as the chefs cook the food for the customers.

Marco and I take a table around one of the grills with a few other people —a smiling older couple who greet him by name, and a family with a little girl who's in awe over the onion tower the chef builds for her on the grill.

"Marco! Long time no see," says the older man.

"We've missed you," adds the woman, smiling at me. "This must be your daughter. I'm Myra. This is Dan."

"This is Lisa," Marco says.

"It's so nice to meet you," Dan says.

"You too," I say.

"Myra owns the auto shop in town," Marco says. "My old car would not be running still without her."

A lady mechanic? "That's so cool," I tell her.

"You ever want to learn how to change your own oil, you come to me," Myra says. "Something every car owner should know."

"Right now, I'm just a bike owner."

"Good for you," Dan says. "Builds strong lungs, biking all over."

"We'll have to get you your license before winter," Marco says casually, like it doesn't make my heart leap, the idea of that kind of freedom. "I'll teach you to drive, if you want."

"Speed demon like you?" Dan snorts. "She'd be better off taking real lessons."

"Shush," Myra scolds as I grin.