~12~

"Chengzu I've brought him here"

Xie lian towards the door waning moon officer bowing just beyond the beaded curtains his arms held none other than ragged boy in bandages.

Hua cheng didn't even move his head "bring him over"

He walks and gently placed the boy on floor, Xie lian tries to look at his wrist again but he stood up swiftly after delivering the boy. Since there was more important business in hands Xie lian cut in and soothed the boy on the floor.

"don't be afraid. It was my fault last time, sorry for startling you"  the boy's eyes were wide in fear and confusion but he stayed in place. His eyes moved from Xie lian to the lap of black jade divan, Xie lian followed his gaze and saw that he was eyeing the fruits on table.

Xie lian looked at hua cheng but before he could ask hua cheng said "go ahead, no need to ask me anything" he smiled.

"thanks" Xie lian took the plate and gave it to the boy, he snatched it and started stuffing his mouth with fruits.

"he must've been hungry for a long time" banyue commented.

"slow down, there's plenty" Xie lian chided softly "what's your name?"
The boy mumbled something as he ate "he may not have spoken for many years give him some time" hua cheng said.

Xie lian sighed "we will take this slowly" seeing the bandages have been soaked in blood thus Xie lian made gentle offer after the fruits on plates were finished.

"there are wounds on your face, and they seem serious. Let me take a look" at the mention of unwrapping his bandages, fear immediately took over the boy's eyes but Xie lian's endless soothing voice and encouragements made him relaxed and he sat back down obediently.

"Your highness is good with kids" Ling wen said
"he is good with everyone" Yushi huang replied smiling.

Xie lian took out a medical powder from his sleeves, upon unraveling the mess of bandages, as he suspected. although the boy’s face was a mangled mess, all
the terrifying little human faces were gone, replaced by large blotches of bright red scars.

When they met at Mount YuJin there were burn marks on his face but this time this boy must've used knife, leaving those scars behind.

"that looks horrible" Qingxuan gasped and all of them nodded in agreement.

Xie lian hand trembled as he gently rubbed the medicine on his face when Hua cheng held his arm "Let me"

Xie lian shook his head "no it's ok let me do it"

Centuries ago when people were infected by this disease there was only one way, they would self-harm. Cut off extra faces growing on their body or burn it off. Many would die because of blood loss. It was hell on earth. Wrapping the new bandages around his head Xie lian asked.

"are you from....xianle?" the boy shook his head and replied in tiny voice.

"Yong'an" The Human Face Disease had only ever erupted within the Kingdom of Xianle, yet this boy was from the Kingdom of Yong’an!

Xie Lian felt his sight go dark, and he blurted out, “Have you ever met White-Clothed Calamity?”
White-clothed calamity. The origin of plague. The symbol of misfortune.

In the last battle before the fall of xianle, Xie lian stood on the wall of tower his face grim, mess with tears. In his blurry vision he saw a white silhouette, his white robes fluttering in wind. Xie lian dropped his face to look at him as that white figure raised his hand and waved. That smiling-crying mask was the nightmare Xie lian couldn't chase away even after hundreds of years.