a terrible apology || ch. 22

tw ~ ongoing uses of the d slur

You continue ignoring every message you receive as you trudge into school the next day.

You're filled with a low-level, bubbling rage in your stomach that won't go away.

You're pissed at Melody, because duh. What seems to be affecting you more, though, is that you're mad at Regina. So, so mad.

You're mad that she made the fight yesterday about herself, you're mad that she ignored you all day yesterday, and, honestly, you're mad that she hasn't come out. As much as you want her to take things at her own pace, her reaction yesterday really hurt your feelings. The defensiveness, the disgust she reacted with to convince people she isn't gay. As if being with you is the most embarrassing thing in the world.

You don't want to feel better yet, you want to sit in it for a while. Maybe you're being childish, or selfish. Who the fuck cares.

You're cornered by Janis and Damian the second you open your locker.

"How are you not suspended, girl?" Damian asks.

"I don't know, I guess my coach didn't tell admin or something." You say.

"Well, you lost yesterday." Janis informs.

"Cool." You say.

"Dude, what's your problem?" Janis asks.

"Everything is my problem! My life is a problem!" You snap.

"Okay," Damian says, clicking his tongue, "We'll let you have the morning, and we'll see you at lunch!" He says as he grabs Janis by the shoulders and steers her away.

Jokes on them, there's no way you're sitting at a table with Regina at lunch today.

You stew throughout the morning, eventually going home at lunch and deciding you're not coming back. You don't have softball practice to worry about. Your mom, thankfully, acquiesced and called you out for the rest of the day. Now you have all weekend to toil in your emotions.

At about four, you hear the doorbell ring and you hear your mom answer it. Muffled talking ensues, then footsteps trail towards your door. It opens to reveal Cady and Janis.

"It was tough to get your mom to let us in. You're like, hella grounded." Janis says.

"Trust me, I know." You tell her.

"Do you want to talk, or do you want to do homework in silence together?" Cady asks.

"We can do homework, I guess." You allow.

"Can I go through your record collection?" Janis asks.

"Sure," You tell her, pulling out your laptop to get started on some homework.

You work in silence, only broken when Janis chooses a record and puts it on.

"Regina was upset you weren't at lunch today. Says it makes things look suspicious." Janis says, sitting on the end of your bed.

"Course she was." You say.

There's a tense moment of silence in your room.

"Can you, like, help me understand why you're upset?" Cady asks hesitantly.

You give her an incredulous look.

"Use your critical thinking skills, Cady, why do you think I'm upset!?" You say harshly.

"Because you got called a dyke on the internet?" Janis proposes.

"Yes. Duh." You say.

"Well, Regina did too, and-" Cady starts.