The Old Orchard

Emma practiced her swordsmanship on the old training posts, wanting to make sure she kept her skills sharp as much as her blade. In these turbulent times, who knew when she'd need to take up her sword and protect those she loved.

Levitating the sword, she whistled as it swerved around the posts, striking the targets at each sharp burst. Anyone unaware would've mistaken it as a bird chattering in the trees.

Another whistle chimed in, imitating Emma's chirps and challenging her concentration as her sword wavered and dipped. A sharp, shrill chirp sent it flying above Richter, making him duck and cover before catching the hilt in her hand. "Nice try, Belmont, but it'll take more than that to break my focus."

"Oh yes, the great Emma, the stone cold warrior." Richter brushed his hand over the top of his head. " Still enough to make you falter."

"Idiot! She nearly lopped your head off!" Maria shrugged, crossing her arms next to him.

"If I faltered, you would've gotten a buzzcut." Emma sheathed her sword. "What's up fellas? Are you here to train or to pester me?" She darted a sharp eye at Richter.

"Neither." Richter shrugged. "Well, I've already done the latter. We're here to check on you."

"Check on me?" Emma raised a curious brow. "Why? I'm fine."

" Your mother sent us to find you." Maria explained. "She's worried you're overworking yourself. Ever since confronting the knights, you've been training hard every day. We wanted to make sure you weren't overworking yourself."

"You, or my my Mom?" Emma inquired.

"All of us." Richter answered. "We just volunteered to go look for you." He smiled with a wink.

"Thanks. You two are so sweet." Emma said kindly, lowering her shoulders. "I'm not overworking myself, I assure you I'm just keeping my skills up. You never know when you'll need them, especially this day in age."

"Bullshit." Richter disagreed. "You've been training here from dawn until dusk every damn day until you crash asleep in your bed. You're running yourself thin, Em. Keep at it and you'll be completely worn out when danger does come."

" I can't let my guard down Richter." Emma tensed.

"At least go easier on yourself." Richter insisted concerned. "I know it's hard, and I understand better than anyone the fear of failing to protect the people you love after losing someone dear to you. But you need to take care of yourself so you can take care of others."

Emma gazed at Richter stunned, wondering who replaced the reckless putz of a Belmont with this mature and empathetic young man. She had watched over him the past several years, now he was watching over her.

"I will." Emma's eyes glistened warmly beneath the mid-morning sun. "Thanks for looking out for me you two. I'll try not to train my ass off from now on. Maybe you can help me, how about we train together a few hours every morning? We all need to be ready in case trouble comes our way."

"Sounds like a plan Em." Richter agreed. "Vance is losing his edge, I need a challenge."

"You're such a dick." Maria shrugged.

"Don't let him hear you say that." Emma warned chuckling. "Then he will kick your ass and I won't step in to save it."

"Me neither." Maria chimed in humorously.

They walked together down the path through the fields to their houses. It was a late spring day, warm and verdant. The scent of newly bloomed flowers and trees perfumed the air, tickling Emma's keen nose.