chapter 15 " The road trip"

As I opened my eyes, I felt an unusual sense of lightness, as if all the burden and pain that had held me down for so long had vanished overnight.

It was the first time in what felt like an eternity that I had slept soundly, without the tormenting nightmares that had plagued me since the tragedy.

As I lay there, I couldn't help but feel a sense of excitement and anticipation for the day ahead, a feeling that I had not experienced in a long time.

It was a sensation reminiscent of the days when I used to visit my family every weekend, eagerly looking forward to the joy and warmth that awaited me there.

I check the time on my phone - it's 8:00 AM. Then I head to the kitchen to make breakfast for Danielle and myself.

While setting the breakfast table, Danielle greeted me with a warm smile and said good morning, Haerin.

Oh Lord, Her beaming smile immediately illuminated the entire room, spreading an infectious joy that instantly uplifted my mood.

Youre an early riser, Im supposed to prepare breakfast for us cos you already cooked dinner last night. I said to her with a wide smile.

There is no big deal, I made bacon and eggs. How do you like your toast? Would you like it lightly toasted or with a golden brown finish?

I like it with a golden brown finish. I said to her.

The aroma of bacon sizzling in the pan and the sound of eggs cracking on the skillet were already making my stomach growl. I knew that this meal would be the perfect way to fuel our morning and set the tone for the rest of the day.

I took the time to brew your coffee myself, using freshly-ground coffee beans that we purchased from the grocery store yesterday. I wanted to make sure you had a high-quality cup of coffee, so I opted not to use your capsule coffee machine. I hope you enjoy the rich, full-bodied flavor of the coffee I brewed just for you. She said as she placed a cup of coffee in front of me.

Thank you Miss Barista! I exclaimed with a wide grin on my face. "What are your plans for today?"

Since this will be our last day, I would like to spend it somewhere peaceful and relaxing.

Huh? Did you say we're going shopping and to the spa? I asked between bites of my egg and bacon toast.

No! We're not going to the shopping and spa. Trust me, you don't need to worry about navigation while driving. Let's focus on preparing for the trip instead. I guarantee that you'll fall in love with the destination.

Okay! As you said so. I trust you!

It's interesting how my perception of her has changed in just a day. Initially, I viewed her as being a bit crazy, but now I find myself relying on her to take charge and plan out our day. There's something about her confidence and decisiveness that puts me at ease. It's a refreshing change of pace.

-----------------------

Haerin, would you like me to turn on the radio so that you don't feel sleepy while driving?"

Yeah Sure!

As soon as the radio turned on, she began singing "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton.

🎵 Making my way downtown,

walking fast, faces fast and Im homebound 🎵

"This is my jam," she giggled.

Her infectious happiness makes me sing along with her in the chorus.

🎵 If I could fall into the sky

Do you think time would pass me by?

'Cause you know I'd walk a thousand miles

If I could just see you

Tonight 🎵

We sang together, jamming to hits by TLC's No Scrub, Christina Aguilera's I Turn to You and NSYNC's Bye Bye

Then, the song "Cool With You" by Newjeans played. It seems like she doesn't recognize it.

"Who sang that song?" she asked curiously.

Newjeans, Don't tell me you don't recognize them. They are a big girl group nowadays. They are famous here and abroad. Do you know any new girl group singers?

"I know the Spice Girls and TLC," she answered.

Spice Girls? I asked

Do you remember the Spice Girls? Geri, Victoria, Mel B, Mel C and Emma sang the hit song "Wannabe".

Wanna be? I thought it was ITZY

Its? Who?

Yeah ITZY, Yeji, Lia, Yuna, Ryujin and Chaeryeong.

No, I never heard of them.

She exclaimed, Stop! "We're here! This is the perfect place to unwind and let go of our troubles."