chapter 20 "grave"

"I went home feeling completely shocked after James's confession. I was extremely confused and didn't know how to process all the information that I had just learned. It's hard to believe that everything I thought I knew about Danielle was just a figment of my imagination. She never really existed. If anyone were to ask me about what happened, they might think I'm crazy and delusional."

As I walked into my flat and surveyed my surroundings, every nook and cranny reminded me of her. She had a presence in every corner of the place. In the kitchen, where she almost burned it down during her first attempt at cooking, she also whipped up delicious breakfast and dinner for the two of us. In the bedroom, where we shared our last night together, and in the living room, where we bonded over movies, her essence lingered.

I sat down on my couch and began to weep. I was filled with sadness because I missed her deeply, and I knew I would never see her again or feel her presence. It felt like a beautiful dream, but once I woke up, I knew it was over and I could never return to it.

As I looked at the television, I chuckled a bit. Her movie selections are outdated; she even requested a DVD because she existed two decades ago.

Upon reflection, I realize that James was right all along. I should have valued and appreciated Danielle's selflessness towards me. She was my guiding light during the darkest period of my life, saving me from drowning in the sea of loneliness and despair. Her unwavering support and encouragement kept me from losing hope and gave me the strength to carry on. She showed me that despite the tragedy, life goes on, and there is always a new beginning and hope.

--------------------

One week later, I discovered the truth about Danielle. I went to visit her grave.

Hi Danielle, I hope you are doing well. I brought you some flowers, but I wasn't sure which ones you would like, so I got a variety. I think you would have liked the sunflowers though, they always reminded me of your beautiful smile.

The other day, I went to the grocery store and saw Martha the cashier and Mikey the bagger again. They remembered me from the last time we were there and treated me like a regular customer. It was nice to see some familiar faces.

I also visited Sister Olga's grave and thought maybe you along with Vanessa is chatting with her right now . While I was there, I also stopped by the chapel and spoke with Sister Olivia. She showed me the construction of the new choir office and some renovations they were doing. She was very grateful for the donation we made.

Tomorrow, I plan to visit James and your restaurant. Even though you are no longer with us, I still feel your presence and guidance every day. Now I understand what you have said that you wont leave me no matter what.

I hope that we will meet again in another life.

I wiped the tears from my face and turned to see who was calling my name.

Daniella?

"Hello there, I wasn't aware that you visit Aunt Dani frequently. She mentioned it to me."

I just visited her now after conversing with James a week ago.

How are you coping with the news about Aunt Dani? I know it must be tough for you. She asked in a concerned tone.

"I am gradually finding the motivation to move forward. I know that I need to face reality and start working again next week. Perhaps it would be helpful to open myself up more and try to make new friends," I said to her with a slight smile.

Her warm smile and gentle touch immediately put me at ease. "That's good to hear," she said softly, before taking my hands in hers and holding my gaze. "Haerin, please know that I am here for you. Whenever you need someone to talk to or just someone to be there for you, you can count on me. I would be glad if you would allow me to be a part of your life."