Chapter One

Beep, Beep, Beep

Beep, Beep, Beep.

My hand reached out of the warm blanket wrapped around me instinctively and hit the alarm, missing a few times before I managed to stop the annoying beeping. I need to get one that plays music so I feel hyped to go to school. I snuggled back into the warmth of my bed, not wanting to leave. Would rather risk not going in for a few extra minutes of precious sleep.

The happiness didn't last long as I heard the door to my room open up and footsteps. I grabbed onto my blanket, knowing what was coming. I felt the person pull the blanket off of me, making me shiver as I moved to sit up, rubbing my eyes, "Really?" I asked, my tired eyes finally focusing on the figure of my father who was holding onto the blanket. "I want to sleep," I whined.

He just chuckled and dropped the blanket at the end of my bed, "Well it's your first day back to school. You've had enough sleep and honestly, I want to go back to work." He said, walking over to me, reaching his hand out to poke my forehead, "Get dressed. I've made pancakes."

My eyes lit up in excitement, "Pancakes? Do you have strawberries on it?" I asked excitedly. I smiled as he nodded, "Yay! I'll go and get ready then!" I said, practically launching myself from my bed and running towards the bathroom so that I could shower first.

After a little while, I was ready to go, dressed in the ugly green school uniform. I also added my oversized red cardigan to wear over the green cardigan. I always wore it, even when I was hot. It was a comfort thing at this point. I brushed my hair and looked at the scarring on my shoulder. I gently touched the exposed part of it, flinching a bit even though it wasn't as sore now. It was the reason I refused to go back to school. I didn't want anyone to see how I looked. Especially not my friends and have them pity me.

I looked at myself in the mirror. My dark circles had finally disappeared now that I was better and had my transfusions to get me back to full health. I wasn't as deathly pale either. I looked healthy, as if nothing happened to me in the first place. I could still see the flashes but after I grabbed my phone, I remembered absolutely nothing. Whatever happened to me, I hope to never remember because I want to heal completely.

I put my hairbrush down and sprayed some perfume before walking to the kitchen, where my dad was sitting, eating some pancakes and drinking his coffee. He was dressed in his usual black clothing, as he was a detective. I knew he was itching to get back and I wanted him to but he was more worried about me than his job. At least they gave him a few weeks off to help me as I had no one else. No mom, no siblings. Just me and my dad. I liked it. I had my friends but they had school and I didn't want to bother them.

I slid into my seat and began to eat my pancakes, watching as he read his newspaper. He was a typical dad, huh? I thought to myself. "Can I have some coffee?" I asked, watching as he looked at me.

He sighed softly before he got up and went to the kitchen unit, pouring some coffee into a cup for me and coming back to me. "You have an addiction." He said, sitting down again. "Remember, if you start to feel sick, please go to the nurse. Have them call me and I'll come get you. I would rather you weren't sick but it's your first day back and it might be nerve-wracking."