Chapter Seven

I clung to the walkie until my hands were turning white, staring at it without blinking, waiting for anything to come through on it

I clung to the walkie until my hands were turning white, staring at it without blinking, waiting for anything to come through on it. I was holding out that my dad was okay and able to get to safety. At least one of us had to survive, even if it wasn't me. I couldn't live with myself if he died.

The radio crackled again before it stopped, "J..." It cut out, "Ji-na," I heard through the radio, making me jump up on my feet, feeling relief run through me.

I looked at Cheong-san, my lips trembling as he gestured to answer it. I held down the button, "Appa?" I asked, my voice trembling as I moved towards the window.

"Oh thank god. You're okay, right?"

I nodded even though I knew he wasn't able to see it. I sniffed, holding down the button again, "I'm okay. A few of us are held up in a room in our school. It's completely overrun. What about the police station?"

"Not yet. We got told what was happening. I'm coming to get you guys as soon as I possibly can, okay? Just hold out for me. I love you so much, Ji-na. I promise that I won't let you get hurt again."

"I love you too, appa. I'm so glad you're okay," I whispered to the radio as tears fell down my cheeks. I don't know what it was but whenever I talked to my dad, I always turned into a little girl who was scared of the world. He always protected me, even at the risk of his life. "Please be safe. I don't want to lose you."

"I'm more worried about you. I'll radio in when I get close. Stay where you are."

"Okay."

"Good."

The radio cut off then and fell to the ground, crying in relief and fear. Relief that he was alive and well but fear that I was going to lose him if he came to find me. I held onto the radio as I cried when I felt arms around me, holding me tightly as I cried into their chest.

It took a while to calm down and I just hiccuped a bit as I wiped my face with my sleeves. I kept the walkie in my hand, not wanting someone to take it from me. It was my last connection to my dad. I looked at the person who had their arms around me, seeing that it was Namra, "Thank you..." I whispered.

She gave me a stone-cold look but her eyes gave her away, all the emotions and questions she wanted to ask but she didn't want to. She patted my back gently, "It must've been a relief..." She started, "To hear from your dad after everything that's happening."

"I'm scared." I whispered, "That he's going to get killed while trying to come for us. I don't want him to."

She just nodded and hugged me again, making me wrap my arms around her waist for comfort.

I leaned back on the chair I was sitting on, with Namra sitting next to me as we watched the others sit around the table, cleaning themselves up as best as they could. He had been in there for too long now, nearly a half hour according to Cheong-san as he had come to talk to me a few minutes ago. We were getting impatient as we wanted to get everyone together to come up with a plan to get out of the school and meet up with my dad halfway.