Chapter Twelve

I held onto Cheong-san for a while longer as he pat my back gently

I held onto Cheong-san for a while longer as he pat my back gently. I like the peace that he brought me. Even when I felt myself getting scared and feeling like I was losing control, he was there to make sure I was okay. I don't know what I'll do if I ever lose him. I might lose myself completely and I didn't know how that would pan out for me. I might not be the halfbie, as Daesu rightfully called me, that I am now. I might be violent and hurt the others without Cheong-san to calm me down.

I was suddenly taken out of my thoughts by the sounds of a man's screams, making me pull away from Cheong-san with my eyebrows furrowed in concentration. I could hear things being moved in a frenzy fashion like someone was fighting. It was strange. I turned to look at Namra who was suddenly standing up as well. She made eye contact with me as I tilted my head in confusion. Is there more like us in this school?

"What?" Su-hyeok asked, looking between Namra and I.

I walked over to the windows to open up the curtains. "I heard something strange." Namra responded in a quiet voice, "Did you hear it too, Jina?"

I opened up the curtain slightly to look out as I nodded to her question, "I heard a scream. A male one." I said softly, "And someone was fighting." I turned to look at the others as I dropped the curtain back to it's original spot. I watched as Namra pulled the attached Suhyeok with her to me.

"What if they're finally starting to turn?" Hyo-ryung whispered to Onjo.

"Huh?"

"What if Halfbies don't turn?"

I gestured for them to quiet down so I could hear properly. I pulled out the makeshift earbuds and zoned in with my hearing. "I can hear it," Namra said.

"What?" Suhyeok asked.

"What do you hear?" Onjo asked.

I covered my ears with my hands as I could hear the person vomiting. It sounded so disgusting and it was churning my stomach as well as I listened to it. "I think someone is puking."

"It stopped," Namra said as soon as it did.

The zombie under the piano started to move. Suhyeok moved closer to Namra, "What stopped?"

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at his words, "The sound of puking," Namra responded as I certainly was not. 

"Stop it," Hyo-ryung spoke up, "You're scaring me."

Namra turned to look at them, "Don't you hear it?" She asked.

"I'm not hearing anything."

I bite my lip as I look at the others. I tilted my head to the side a bit when I started to notice things. I knew my hearing had improved a lot since my incident but I never paid attention to it until this very moment, when Namra mentioned it. I looked at Hyo-ryung, hearing how fast her heartbeat was and her breathing.