Part 15

There's quite a known tension in the air between Robert and I following my dad returning with the coffees and I'm pretty sure we can both feel it as he can't keep his eyes off me, and it's driving me insane. My dad will surely pick up on something going on if he keeps staring at me like that. It's annoying me what he has just said, that women never stick around with him, but how can they when he fucks every girl walking? Are we supposed to feel sorry for him or something?

I can't even concentrate on what my dad tries to tell me about the job, my mind is on Robert.. it doesn't help that his eyes are burning through my soul... it's that or the fact that I can't ignore the feeling that I miss him.. I miss him so much but I can't give in that easily, he'll think what he did was okay, and that he's won.. but it's not, he's got to realise treating women that way isn't fair.

As soon as the meeting is finished, I waste no time in sticking around, I quickly thank them both, and follow my dad out, when I glance over my shoulder back to the room we were sat in, Robert's stood watching with a tight jaw, his arms folded across his chest.. I offer him a soft smile, but he doesn't return it.. I don't quite understand why until I hear a voice approach me..

"How did it go?" Mason asks.. I look at him before scanning my eyes back to Robert, who's still watching with a glare.. "Please tell me you'll be starting?"

"Uh.. yeah.. all good.. I'm starting on Monday!"

"Ah! That's awesome!" Mason quickly pulls me into a hug.. my arms wrap around him to hug him back.. "We'll make a great team!"

"That we will.. I'm excited.."

"Good!" He smiles at me as we part.. "You'll be awesome, and I'll make sure everyone looks after you.."

"Thanks Mason, I'll see you Monday.."

"Hey!" He quickly grabs my wrist to stop me from walking away.. "How about a drink tonight? Celebrate?"

"Oh.. uh.."

"I won't tell your dad.." he whispers so my dad doesn't hear.. I find myself once again glancing towards Robert, who hasn't moved at all, he narrows his eyes as he looks our way..

"Yeah, alright.. I'll text you.. we can meet at 7pm.."

"Perfect.." he gives a little nod with a smile across his face.. "I better get back to work before the boss realises.. see you tonight Soph!"

"That you will!" I say, as he walks away, when I turn back to see if Downey is still watching, I notice he's gone.. I glance around the room but there's no sign of him.. just my dad waving at me to catch up to him.

Once we've sorted out my work details, my dad takes me home, I now have the rest of the afternoon to get ready for drinks with Mason. Before that though, I decide to have an hour or so out by the pool, my dad is working away in his office, so I'm getting in a couple of chapters of my book for a little bit of alone time.. after spending some time in the sun, I make my way back inside to grab a bite to eat, but as I step into the kitchen, I'm greeted by my dad... and Downey.

How many times do I have to face these two today?!  I do try my best just to quickly grab something without any words spoken, but as usual Downey can't keep that mouth shut.

"Sophia, catching some rays?" He asks, he's looking a little more relaxed than earlier, his top three buttons of his shirt are undone, and his sleeves are rolled up to his elbows.

"Yes, thanks.." I take some fruit, and a fresh glass of orange juice.. "Just came in for a refill.."

"Nice to see you keeping up with the healthy eating.." he nods to the fruit I've put on my plate... "We must get out for that run sometime.."