Part 19

When I come back downstairs a little later, Robert is stood at the kitchen counter talking with my mom.. about what.. I have no idea, and I'm not really sure I want to know, especially if she's giving him a good lecture over me.. over us.. so I continue through to where my dad is sat on the couch.. and I join him.. slouching down beside him..

"Hey sweetheart.." he greets.. "You alright?"

"Mmm.. just a bit tired from the sun, a beach day really tires you out.."

"Well you'll need an early night tonight ready to start work tomorrow.. are you excited?"

"A little, I'm not as nervous because.. one..you're the boss.. and two.. I know someone there.. so.."

"True.. you get any problems, you come to me.. alright?"

"I will.. but I can look after myself.."

"I know, doesn't stop me worrying about you though.. does it.."

"No I guess not..why is Robert still here?" I ask, remembering that he's been here for a few hours.. since I returned from the beach.

"Is he not allowed?" He laughs, and I close my eyes in frustration.

"He's just here a lot.. that's all..wouldn't you agree?"

"Do you want me to stop inviting him for dinner?" He asks, and I'm quick to shake my head.. "He is here for work, he only comes to see me at my home office when we need to discuss the business out of hours.. it happens when we're in business together.."

"I know but it's like alllllll the time.." I groan.. just as my mom and Robert come through the doorway.. Robert has that stupid, beautiful smile across his face.. "What you smirking at?"

"Sophia! Don't be so rude to our guest.." my dad shouts at me..

"Sorry.." I smirk, moving away so my mom can sit next to my dad.. I take the chair opposite them, and Robert takes the chair next to me..

"This is nice isn't it.. the four of us together.." my mom smiles as me, and then over to Robert.. I know what she's trying to do, but it isn't going to work.. yet.

"I guess.." I shrug, pulling out my phone to ignore their conversation.. rude maybe, but I'm not in the mood for talking.. I can feel Robert's eyes on me, every few moments when my mom and dad look away.. I can tell he's wanting to say something.. but ignore it.. it's hard.. but I do manage to keep my focus on my group chat with my friends..

"Who's got you all smiley?" I hear Robert ask, and as I glance up there's only the two of us left in the room.. "Is it him?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You..on your phone.. ignoring everything we've just said..don't you think that's just rude?!"

"Was it interesting?" I simply ask, not really caring that he thinks it's rude.

"What?"

"Whatever it was you were talking about.. was it interesting?"

"Well.." he tries, but I know that he's trying to think of something to say, he doesn't actually mean it.

"Exactly.." I sigh.. "So if it's any of your business, which I don't think it is.. I'd much rather be having a nice chat with my friends from home..
that I miss very much.."

"Okay.." he holds his hands up.. "Calm down princess.." he smirks.. and that just makes me even more annoyed. He's not winning me over talking like this.

"You wish.." I scoff, before standing up.. "Isn't it time you went to your own home?!"

"Um.." he looks up at me as I make my way to the door.. clearly at a loss as to why I'm leaving him on his own.. "Where you going?"