|Chapter 6|

The next day is Sunday. Nate and I left for his parents' after breakfast. Throughout the ride, I thought about Ma and why she wanted to see Nate. An hour's drive due to the traffic, brings us to my in-law's mansion.
Ma welcome his son with open arms, but from the way she replies to my warm greetings, one can easily see that a coldness exists between her and myself. But when I face Pa, he embraces me affectionately.
I've tried my very best to bring the cold war between my mother-in-law and I to an end, but haven't succeed.

Ma had opposed her son's marriage to me from the outset. When Nate had inform both his parents that he'd found a girl and willing to marry her, Ma had strongly opposed. Stating her reason for opposing the marriage: she doesn't like my face, and mostly me being an orphan. I believe Ma fears that I might be amoosu (a witch)
After a year of marriage, I, still without a child, Ma had gloried in her vindication.

“I knew it. I said it, didn't I?” she'd said one day to Nate in my hearing.

But Nate had come to my defence. He'd state that it was way too early to brand me a barren. But as the years passed without becoming pregnant, Nate had quit giving reasons or excuses for my childlessness.

“So Mom,” Nate starts off. “You wanted to see me. Anything the matter?”

“Any positive news concerning you giving us a grandchild?” she asks.

Nate and I say nothing. I always prefer to remain silent in the background when Nate and Ma are discussing anything.

“What?” she says, eyes toggling between Nate and I. “Nothing still?”

“Vanessa—”

“What!” She cuts Pa off mid-sentence, giving him a death stare. She turns to face Nate and I again. “Anyways,” she begins, leaning into her seat and crossing her leg. “I'd like to take your wife with me to see a healer of mine. He's very good. And I bet he'll be able to solve this issue of barrenness that has befallen your wife.”

“Vanessa!” Pa barks at his wife sitting next to him on the long leather sofa.

Ignoring him, Ma continues. “So, what do you say?” she asks Nate. “She should be able to come with me, right?”

I remember vividly with shudder the ordeal I'd gone through when Ma took me to one healer a year ago. The man had given me a container of purgative substance for a start, so powerful that my stomach ran for three days straight nonstop. When I was on the verge of collapsing, I was eventually rushed to the hospital. I narrowly escaped death.

“Nathaniel,” Ma says, bringing me back to the present. “I asked you a question.”

By now I'd made up my mind never to go with Ma to see any healer. My last experience almost cost me my life. Just because I'd been afraid to offend my mother-in-law by refusing to see the healer.

“Nathaniel,” Ma calls again. “Didn't you hear a word I'm saying?”

”I hear you, Mom.”

“So? Why are you quiet?”

“Mom,” he says. “I don't think Muna can go with you.”

“And why not?” She sounds irritated.

“Last time—”

“What about last time?” she cuts him off.

Nate sighs, falling into silence. He doesn't want to argue with his dear mother for the fear of her hysterical outbursts of fury. Besides, she hardly ever listens to argument. She's a domineering woman who seems to be ruling her husband's house-including mine at times. Pa is a man of few words who hates scenes and who, occasionally, allows her have her way if only to have some peace in the house.

“Oh.” She smiles, sarcastically. “I knew it. I knew all along you would say no to my suggestion. Your wife will not like to go and so you support her. I saw her give you a signal with her eyes.”

“Mom—”

“Don't you dare Mom me!” Ma snaps, sitting up straight.

“Vanessa—”

She faces Pa, putting up a finger in front of him. “Don't Jerry! Just don't.” She turns to face us. No, me particularly.

Ma's temper rises. Nate and Pa tries to quieten her, but their attempts are like pouring gasoline into an already blazing fire. She becomes vituperative, calling me all sorts of derogatory names.

“. . . your childlessness is a punishment for your unchaste life as a spinster! . . .”

I remain silent. It griefs me terribly to see that Nate is so helpless that he can't restrain his mother from casting such aspersions upon my integrity.

Nothing is worse in my position than the consciousness of my innocence. It undermine my morale. It's just on the tip of my tongue to exculpate myself. I can feel my temper rising-the familiar pressure in my chest and the choking feeling in my throat—but I control myself and allow my mother-in-law to go on and vent her spleen.

Nate is speechless as well. He stare at his mother in consternation. At last, when Ma has nothing else to say, she stands and storms out of the living room.

“I'm terribly sorry,” says Pa to me.

“It's okay Pa.”

“Please don't take her words to heart. She only said those things out of annoyance. She didn't mean any of it.”

Of course she meant every word of it. Ma has always despise me from the very beginning. Not like the hatred began a year after my marriage to her only son.

“I should go check up on her,” Pa says and rise from the sofa, exiting the room.

With only Nate and I in the room, I turn to face him, placing my hand onto his. “Are you okay?” I ask.

He turns his head looking sideways at me. “I should be asking you that. Mom said a lot of hurtful things to you.”

I give a weary smile. “I'm fine, Nate. Her words didn't get to me at all.”

He raises an eyebrow at me, doubtfully. “Are you sure?”

I caress his cheek. “Yes. I'm sure.”

He takes my hand and peck my palm. “I'll be right back okay.”

“Where are you going?” I ask as he rises.

“I should inform Mom and Dad that we're leaving.”

“Nathaniel.” We look over to see Pa standing on the stairs. “Your mom wants to talk to you privately.”

“Sure Dad.” He bends over to peck my temple. “I'll be back,” he whispers before heading off to the stairs.