|Chapter 30|

“William Constant?! What're you doing here?” My heart is beating hard, but at least there's a good reason for it this time!

“Forgive me, I didn't mean to frighten you.” William is already kneeling down in an attempt to calm the boy, which he does with an amazing skill, I notice. I bend down too, and we finish the job together. My hands are shaking. I blame it on the fright he'd given me.

“Well, how nice to see you again, William. When did you get back from London? Dr. Frank told me when I went to Bamenda few days ago,” I say, as soon as I've finished giving instructions to the mother on how to keep the wound clean and dry.

“Well, I . . . I never actually left for London.”

“What? So you've been in Cameroon this whole time? Then why did Dr. Frank lie to me about that?”

“No. I actually told him I was leaving for London. But I did not. It's wonderful to be back here, Muna. It almost feels like I'm coming home. I'll help you with the rest of your patients, and then perhaps you would be good enough to invite me for a bite of lunch.”

I find William amazingly helpful. “You have a doctor's hand, you know,” I say as he hold a feverish little baby for me while I examine her throat and ears and eyes. He smiles.

Lunch is late because the patients has taken longer than usual. Jamal has it waiting on the table behind us when we are finished. I walk inside to wash and come back out to William sitting in his usual chair, chatting with Jamal as though he'd never left.
A wave of joy shivers down my spine, and I smile happily as I sit down beside William.

“Well?” I say.

“Well, what?”

“Well, how're you feeling? You look well. Much better than the last time I saw you.”

“Why, Ms. Anozie.” I raise my eyebrow feeling impressed at how well he pronounced my name. He notices and chuckles as he continues. “I didn't realize you still take such a proprietary interest in my case,” he teases.

“Of course,” I say, blushing as I try to speak casually. “And you've done very well to get better so quickly, Mr. Constant.”

“Why, thank you very much. I do feel a little weak still, but I can only be grateful for the excellent medical care I've received.”

“So, why did you lie about leaving for London when you know you aren't?” I ask.

William rubs the nape of his neck. “Just had to get away for a little while.”

“Away from what?”

“Um, if you don't mind, I'd like to spend the night here. I can just sleep here on your veranda. Please. For old times' sake?” His eyes twinkles, and I'm too glad to see him again to disapprove of his staying overnight at my house.

As we eat, I tell him all the details, the triumphs, and the difficulties I'm having building the clinic.
I've been waiting to hear about the arrival of my supplies in Bamenda, I explain. And as I chat on, I keep looking at him, trying to discern his motive for coming out to see me. But he's inscrutable. He just listens and asks questions occasionally.

Finally, as we sit in the quiet of the afternoon, empty plates before us, I open my mouth to say, “What're you doing here?” but at the last second I lost my courage. “Are you planning on returning to your world tour anytime soon?” I ask instead.

“Well, yes. I don't know when exactly, but yes.”

After lunch, we sit together chatting about this and that, until William ask me if I can take him out to the clinic. I oblige, and we spend the afternoon there. Strolling back along the path in the late afternoon shadows, I find myself remembering the walks we had taken as he had leaned on me for support. I suddenly wish he can do it once more, casually, as if it were the most easy thing in the world, just drape his arm over me and walk with me into the sunset.

William and I have supper together that evening. It feels to me as he'd never left. We watch the sun go down and sit listening to the night insects. The stars are fling out across the black sky like drops of shinning happiness, scattered to the four corners of the heavens.

“Muna,” William begins suddenly.

“Yes,” I reply, suddenly afraid. I've never heard him use that tone of voice.

“I did not come all this way just to pay you a friendly visit. I had another reason.”

I look up into his face in amazement. “What is it?”

“Oh, Muna, this is so difficult for me to say. I'm really not used to talking about these things. And I am afraid I really don't understand women so well at all.”

I chuckle and say, “Women aren't that difficult to understand, William. Just say what you want to say. I'm sure if you put it in plain English, I'll understand you perfectly well.” Goodness gracious, what on earth could William possibly want from me that makes him so terribly nervous?

“Alright, then,” he replies and takes a deep breath. “Muna, will you marry me?”