Wallace's: The Bet

Thursday evening at Wallace's before happy hour, Jerome, a regular patron is complaining to this sly hustler named Curtis, who just lost a sucker bet, "I don't know how you did it, Curtis. You got me this time.  What's your secret, Cuz? How did you make that prediction?"  Curtis taking a sip, telling Jerome, "The secrets are knowledge and common sense. Care for another wager, it's a chance you win back your money." Jerome tells him, "I don't know Cuz, I can't afford another bet with you, too rich for my blood!"  Curtis replies, "I tell you what, can you afford to pay for the drinks!" Thinking about it, Jerome replies, "Okay," Curtis tells him, "If I win, drinks on you and if you win, you get all your money back."  Jerome says, "Agreed!" Curtis tells him, "I bet you some members of New Yorks Finest are going to walk through that door and make arrests."  While Curtis and Jerome are waiting, Wallace is mingling with some of the other patrons hosting as usual, Gloria behind the counter bartending, the music from the jukebox playing.  Suddenly all eyes are on these two plainclothes detectives and a uniformed officer entering Wallace's. They approach this young couple in their twenties, seated in one of the booths, ordering them to get up, announcing they are under arrest. One detective offers them the option to leave with dignity or be forcibly removed, risking a scene and charges of resisting arrest. The couple, both dressed in hoodies and jeans, decide to comply and exit Wallace's with the officers, along with their wrists handcuffed.

Confused, Jerome glances at Curtis, who raises both hands, smiling triumphantly.  Curtis explains, "those two modern-day Bonnie and Clyde walked in here acting inconspicuously, entering one of the booths, attempting to blend in. They were perspiring and they waved and said, "Hi!" Wallace was unsure who they were, while the guy orders brew for him and the female. Wallace from his facial expression, like many of us were leery of the two, also Wallace realizes the numbers of bookings he had here, must be guest of those who booked Wallace's for their affairs, they are certainly not regulars. They both talk and look around acting tense, he asks her if needed to use the bathroom and she tells him, 'Why, so you can duck out on me while I'm in the bathroom, ready to go' and he tells her 'Not yet, let's wait a few minutes'. I noticed they kept their eyes directly at the entrance, that's when I noticed something wasn't right, you saw as soon as po-po came in here, they attempted to leave the booths to go to the back.  Besides, those two have a reputation for being rip-off artists and they must have done some robbery before coming in Wallace's acting lowkey!"

Jerome is amazed and Curtis tells him, "You care for another bet, I bet you, $20 a lady is going to be the next to walk inside Wallace's." Jerome tells him, "No thank you. I decided to retire from gambling tonight."    Curtis tells him, "Don't say I didn't give you the opportunity." Jerome is all smiles until this stunning woman walks into Wallace's and heads to the counter. She perches on a barstool and orders a glass of Cognac, leaving Jerome speechless, mouth agape, while Curtis looks on, shaking his head with a grin.