𝑪𝒐𝒏𝒇𝒖𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑪𝒐𝒏𝒇𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏

Every so often, the president hosts special dinners in which only certain people are invited. Tonight just so happens to be one of these dinners. Lilith has little knowledge on how these dinners go, this is her first one. Julia has told her she will be perfectly fine as long as she is polite and poised.

"This never gets old." Lilith states, staring at her reflection in a huge mirror. She has been dressed in a gorgeous, white, floor length gown. It has small cutouts around her waist, with a deep v-neck line. There are sparkles and sequences all over.

"You always look divine." Julia compliments the blonde.

"It's all your hard work. I just sit there." Lilith looks away from her reflection and glances at her stylist.

"Oh, don't be so modest!" Julia exclaims, playfully nudging Lilith's shoulder. "You pull everything off so effortlessly."

Lilith smiles and looks down, her curled hair falling in front of her face. "Who do you think will be at this dinner?"

"Depends on who our dear President decided to invite." Julia answers.

"I wonder why I was invited."

"Well you do work in the Capitol most of the time. He probably wants to show his appreciation for your efforts." Julia says, smoothing out Lilith's dress for one last time. "Perfect." She mutters.

─•~❉᯽❉~•─ ─•~❉᯽❉~•─

Lilith awkwardly sips her wine as the people around her mingle. What wasn't mentioned earlier, was everyone attending this party was going to be older than her. The blonde hasn't seen anyone even remotely close to her age.

The dinner table is a long rectangle, President Snow at one head of it. Lilith is crammed between a woman wearing an over the top wig, and a balding, fat, man. The man smells horrible, while the woman smells too good.

Everyone talks among themselves, completely ignoring the presence of the Victor. Lilith begins to again wonder why she was even invited to this thing. She tries her best to look grateful and happy to be there, but she doesn't do a good job.

Just as she thought her night couldn't get any worse, it did exactly that. The doors to the dining hall open, and in steps Finnick. Lilith internally groans.

"Sorry I'm late, folks." Finnick charms. He flashes his proud smile.

"Mr. Odair, how nice of you to join us." President Snow says in a tone Lilith can't quite decipher. "Now that my two favorite victors are here, it's time."

Lilith furrows her brows and looks at the President. The blonde takes a moment to glance at Finnick, who looks equally as confused.

"If you two would please come over here?" President Snow says, gesturing for the two victors to stand near him.

They make their way over to him. Lilith puts her hands behind her back, trying to look poised, Julia's earlier words ringing in her mind.

"I have put together a special interview with, our very own, Caesar Flickerman. It's to boost the spirits of the Districts in light of the upcoming Hunger Games. Tell daring stories of your experience and share the highlights of your games." President Snow informs the pair. Lilith is at a loss for words, she just smiles proudly.

"Well, isn't that something? I'm sure I can speak for Ms. Monroe, as well as myself, when I say we'd be delighted. This is truly an honor." Finnick declares.

Lilith doesn't like being spoken for by Finnick, but seeing as they were in front of the President, she allowed it to happen. But she will remember to talk to him about it later.

Once the meal was finished, there was time for walking about the hall and participating in more mingling. Lilith spots Finnick from across the room, the women all over him. In his eyes, she can see he's overwhelmed. She makes a split second decision to get him out of there.

"Finnick, my friend, do you mind if I steal you for a second?" Lilith questions when she reaches him.

"Not at all." He replies, immediate relief washing over him. "Excuse me, ladies."

The pair walk away and go to the drink table.

"You didn't have to do that." Finnick murmurs.

"Consider it payment for rescuing me at my party." Lilith shrugs.

Realization crosses Finnick's features. "Ah, yes, that."

"Yes. That." Lilith mimics. They look at each other, both desperately trying to figure out what the other is thinking.

As the party begins to end, people leave the dining hall. Lilith suspects some of the men want to escort her home, she is too drained to entertain anyone. She makes her way to Finnick once more and without saying a word, she gently links her arm with his, then guides them out of the hall.

"What was that?" Finnick questions once far enough away from the room.

"Nothing. I owe you again." Lilith states plainly.

"You know if we keep doing this, we're going to be forever in debt to each other." Finnick chuckles, not looking at her.

Lilith stops them. "We," she gestures between them, "are not doing anything."

"You're absolutely right. Of course we're not doing anything, I don't particularly like you." Finnick looks ahead of them and keeps walking, Lilith following suit.

"Well, I don't particularly like you either." Lilith snaps. She knows Finnick doesn't like her, she always has, but, something about hearing him say it hurts her slightly.

"Good thing we agree on that." Finnick says, clearly amused.

"You're infuriating." Lilith states. "I'll walk myself the rest of the way."

"If you say so, princess." Finnick smirks, knowing she hates the nickname.

With one last look, Lilith glares at him, then turns around and heads out of the presidential palace.