Emerald.

"I can't believe you agreed to this."

Eloise stood behind Penelope fixing her hair, while Benedict sat downstairs with Agatha.

When she had suggested the date to Colin, Penelope was a little tipsy, but she thought it would be nice to reconnect, even talk. Surely... he owed her one night and surely, they'd be able to remain with their clothes on for a few hours.

She didn't want to annoy Eloise any further as Eloise had expressed, she wasn't all too pleased at the upcoming night.

"El, it's just dinner."

Penelope clasped her fingers around Eloise's hand, but Eloise quickly scoffed,

"Its never 'just' dinner with you two."

Eloise rolled her eyes and settled one hand on her hip,

So that's where Agatha gets it from...

"I'll leave you to get dressed..."

Elosie started to walk towards the door but turned around one last time before she exited.

"Please, just protect your heart."

Penelope nodded; she got it. Eloise had watched Penelope break completely, and it took a while for her to be put together again. Eloise and Penelope were deeply connected, and she didn't want to put Eloise through that again. Picking your best friend physically off the floor each night for weeks probably wasn't the best campaign for going on this date. But with Colin being back... it was different. He was different. She didn't want to get her hopes up, but the way they were starting to be around each other felt so familiar, and as much as she hated to admit it, she gave her heart to him such a long time ago, and she truly never got it back. She never asked for it back either. She had been empty, without touch, without him for so long, she just wanted one night to forget the past, forget the hurt, a night just for them.

Earlier in the day she had received flowers and chocolates, there was a note attached.

Be ready for six.

A car will collect you,

I'll be the one in the tux.

Colin

Benedict got too it first, and well it provided a lively conversation that morning. He wasn't pleased either with Penelope's decision on this date, but after she calmed him down, he hesitatingly agreed not to air out his frustrations as long as she 'kept her eyes wide open.' Penelope agreed, she could only hope she wouldn't fall into the Colin Bridgerton charms again, but she should have known that was a promise she'd never be able to keep.

She turned to the wardrobe where the dress was hanging, it was an emerald sparkly gown, she managed to pick it up from a boutique a few towns over. The dress was floor length with a high slight towards her left thigh, it had a slight V-neckline with spaghetti straps, Penelope was worried she'd show too much cleavage, but it was surprisingly modest, the most daring part was the high slit. But... the way the dress sparkled was unbelievable. Penelope had never worn anything this beautiful since well... her failed wedding day.

When the thought of that day crossed her mind, her stomach ached.

Was she kidding herself? Was this all a fantasy?

She stood in front of the mirror, her dress highlighted her curves, the gold strapped heels made her a little taller, so her legs looked longer, it was a nice touch with the slit of the dress. She had on her necklace... the one she always wore, the one from him. Her hair was in waves over one shoulder, the rest pushed behind one ear. She quickly fixed her brown lipstick and made her way down the stairs.